Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16618 Discussions

MATLAB model to verilog HDL code conversion using Matlab's HDL workflow advisor

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Greetings, 

Im currently working on a project called Three phase induction motor using Space Vector Pulse Width modulation(SVPWM). The implementation part is through FPGA. I have a working MAtlab model of the project and my aim is to convert it into Verilog HDL code using "Matlab's HDL workflow advisor". The problem is that only HDL compatible blocks can be included in the model to convert it into FPGA. Using the command hdllib in MATLAB's command window, it is possible to view the blocks which can be included(ie blocks which are compatible with HDL). But as such blocks are limited certain blocks like filters, relays, mosfet power modules cannot be replaced as hdl compatible elements in my model. Im using R2012a version of MATLAB. Please look at the model and give some suggestions. Thanx in advance.. 

Rd..
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I dont know what you want. If there is no compatible block, then it cant be converted to HDL. You have to separate the convertable stuff and non-convertable stuff in your model and only run HDL coder on the compatible part. Then the "extra" bits remain as a test harness for your design.  

If you expect to be able to convert them - you will get stuck very quickly.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I dont know what you want. If there is no compatible block, then it cant be converted to HDL. You have to separate the convertable stuff and non-convertable stuff in your model and only run HDL coder on the compatible part. Then the "extra" bits remain as a test harness for your design.  

If you expect to be able to convert them - you will get stuck very quickly. 

--- Quote End ---  

Sir,  

I want to convert the MATLAB model to verilog code using MATLAB's HDL workflow advisor. The entire functioning of the model depends on the combined assembly of both the convertable and non convertable stuff. So it is difficult to seperate unless a whole new model is formulated. Even if I am able to isolate the non convertable part then is it possible to implement those on a seperate with some connection to the compatible part FPGA board and still make the model work? I have uploaded the model file(.m file) previously. I can give screenshots of the environment if you want a clearer picture. 

Thanks for your time:)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not all blocks can be converted to HDL. If you have to convert them, you will have to replace them with convertible blocks. 

But if you're using non-HDL blocks, you are probably designing it wrong from an FPGA perspective anyway.
0 Kudos