Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

could Modelsim-altera run in 64 bit mode, or load 64bit C library?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all,  

i am using modelsim-altera 10.1d that comes together with Quartus II subscription edition 13.1. 

There is no linux64 folder or similar so I tried to run the modelsim in 64 bit mode by: 

$(altera_home)/13.1/modelsim_ase/linux/vsim -64. 

It would return: 

Failed to open executable $(altera_home)/13.1/modelsim_ase/linux/../linuxpe/vish in execute mode needed for the option -64. 

execv: No such file or directory. 

I also tried the vsim under linuxaloem folder, which also failed. 

So the question is: could modelsim-altera ran in 64 bit mode? Or is there any way to load some 64bit systemC library. 

I actually succeeded in loading 32bit libraries, but the one I need to load has some codes that seemingly only work in 64 bit. 

Thanks! 

Tie Chen
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Answer - 64 bit version is only available as a paid subscription version 

And mentor will tell you the 64 bit version actually runs slower than the 32 bit.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am using model-sim altera rather than model-sim altera starter.  

Do you mean I need to have model-sim SE or Questa? 

I do not care about the speed for now. I am giving a 64-bit C library and a testbench and the simulation result did not match if I compiled the c source files in 32 bit mode.  

Thanks 

Tie Chen
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, 64 bit requires questa or SE.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry to bother you again. I could not find SE on mentor graphics's website, is it gone? 

It seems now they only have Questa or Modelsim PE. I know that modelsim-altera is a special version of PE. Does this means that I have to use Questa?
0 Kudos