Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

Many Simultaneous Task Schedulers

turks
Beginner
Though I'm getting great scalability within a single process (1 scheduler, 8 cores), it's also important to be able to start up multiple copies of the application. In this case it appears that the TBB schedulers collide with themselves - each one wants to take all the cores/cpu power and divide it among its own threads. Thus when I start up 4 copies of this application, I get no more than 2.5x the throughtput. It should be close to 4x, which is what it would be without TBB.
I'm using Ver 2.2, specifically using the concurrent_bounded_queue and pipeline classes.
Could one possibly have one task scheduler for multiple Windows XP processes?
Is TBB perhaps not designed for this, but rather for writing a single greatly scalable application?
Tnx,
Mitch
0 Kudos
1 Solution
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II
Quoting - turks
Though I'm getting great scalability within a single process (1 scheduler, 8 cores), it's also important to be able to start up multiple copies of the application. In this case it appears that the TBB schedulers collide with themselves - each one wants to take all the cores/cpu power and divide it among its own threads. Thus when I start up 4 copies of this application, I get no more than 2.5x the throughtput. It should be close to 4x, which is what it would be without TBB.

Could one possibly have one task scheduler for multiple Windows XP processes?
Is TBB perhaps not designed for this, but rather for writing a single greatly scalable application?

I think the world is heading towards this but isn't quite there yet. I've seen academic research and heard of plans from Microsoft to make the HW thread pool a system-allocated resource. In such an environment load balance from the available HW threads could be shared across processes as well as through hierarchies using different threaded libraries (e.g., sharing a common set of threads between TBB and OpenMP) within a process. But it's not quite there yet. For the present it remains a resource issue that is left to the applications to solve.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I forgot to add. Turks issue could be addressed with the current version of QuickThread to a reasonable extent by at initialization time setting a DefaultSpinWait value:

[cpp]// DefaultSpinWait = 1:n Attempt task steal, perform task when found, 
// else, after SpinWait number of failed attempts
// suspend thread.
//
// DefaultSpinWait = 0 Suspend thread without task stealing
// DefaultSpinWait = -1 Run in _mm_pause loop while busy
// DefaultSpinWait = -2 Run in SwitchToTask loop while busy
// DefaultSpinWait = -3 Run in Sleep(0) loop while busy [/cpp]

Also, per-enqueue context, the programmer can specify a desired behavior.

Although this would help Turk's situation to a greater extent, a better solution (V1.n+) would incorporate a cooperative effort amongst parallel-ized processes in dynamically tuning each processes active thread pool sizes.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
turks
Beginner
AJ,
We are just posting some screen captures using Vtune on both the TBB-based app and the non-TBB-Threading-primitives app. Our app is called "rampage_ui.exe" in the Processes view and in the Modules view of rampage_ui, the useful work is done mainly by the following 3 dlls: "rsi_rendp.dll", "rle2rend_ParallelRelease.i32", and "tsw-gui.dll".

For the non-TBB app there are 2 captures: the Processes view, and the Modules view

For the TBB app there are 4 captures: the Processes view, the Modules view, a Hotspots view of the "tbb.dll", and a Hotspots view of the "tbb_debug.dll"

Note the additional time inside the tbb dlls for "local_wait_for_all" and in the internal view possible with the tbb_debug.dll, the time inside something called "_TBB_machine_pause"

For those familiar with the internals of TBB, perhaps this confirms where the CPU time is going.

Looking forward to your responses.
Thanks.
Mitch and Pat (Turk)
0 Kudos
turks
Beginner
Quickthread looks real interesting. I'm just starting to read up on it. I hope you'll be able to get Reinders (or equivalent ?) to do a similar to TBB book on it!
0 Kudos