Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Quicksync not available to a service process?

karl_lillevold
Beginner

We have been using a simple MFXInit() to test of Quicksync is available, but I now realized that when we run our program as a service, the very same MFXInit() always fails. That leads me to believe Quicksync (or any is not available to a Windows service... 

Much to my disappointment, I found this thread : http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/311956, which leads me to indicate there is no solution for this problem, with graphics drivers not available to "session 0" .. (I have no experience with Windows services - others have worked on that part in our project). Very unfortunate - we relied on Quicksync for much improved transcoding performance.

-Karl L.

0 Kudos
38 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...when we run our program as a service, the very same MFXInit() always fails... Could you add a call to Win32 API function GetLastError just right after the call to MFXInit? What is an error code? Also, it is Not clear how you've created that Windows service with CreateService Win32 API function.
0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee
Hi, Just to clarify, the limitation of execution as a service was due to D3D9 architecture requiring a display to render (which requires a logged in user). D3D11 architecture does not have this limitation. Please make sure that your application is built with latest Media SDK, is running on a platform that supports D3D11.1 (Windows 8), and does not use any API that require a display. When the session is initialized for hardware acceleration, if D3D11 is not available on the platform, no graphics accelerated rendering will be available.
0 Kudos
karl_lillevold
Beginner

Thanks for your reply, Sergey. It seemed clear from the thread I pointed to, services in session 0 do not have access to the necessary APIs (DirectX), which unfortunately QuickSync relies on. In any case, the error is MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED (-3). I guess my question really was more of a statement, expressing my frustration after having spent time and effort implementing a wickedly fast QuickSync based encoder, then having it blocked by this problem. 

0 Kudos
karl_lillevold
Beginner

Thanks, Tony. I read those threads as well, but Windows 8 marketshare at 3.17% is not our target. -Karl.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Karl, A Windows Service could interact with a Desktop, could display UI ( rendering ), interact with Tray Notifications ( lots of things! ). But you need to properly initialize your Service. How did you initialize the Service with CreateService Win32 API function?
0 Kudos
karl_lillevold
Beginner

I am not working on that part of our code, but I will ask. It's running in session 0 and has no access to the required APIs, just like the thread describes as well as Tony writes above, where he also states it is possible on Windows 8, but not Windows 7. As there was no solution posted the thread I mentioned, I am curious what you are suggesting, that the good folks at Intel do not know about?

0 Kudos
karl_lillevold
Beginner

[deleted - duplicate post]

0 Kudos
karl_lillevold
Beginner

Argh, I just wrote another reply, and it was lost...

I wrote that we our service is a system service running for all users, and when no one is logged on. We have a separate per user systray notification exe, as well as an explorer shell extension. These three communicate via indirect means some of which are described here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms683502(v=vs.85).aspx. I guess the service could farm out encoding jobs to the systray app, in theory, but the communication would be awkward, but most importantly it would only work when someone is logged on and the systray running.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

IIRC windows services run under various accounts like local sytem ,user account or network service and these services are pinned to non-visible window station.Session Zero further restricts the services from interacting directly with the desktop.I have been able to find that this parameter "SERVICE_INTERACTIVE_PROCESS" must be present in service's registry key TYPE parameter.Service which run under user account can not be marked as a  interactive.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I guess the service could farm out encoding jobs to the systray app, in theory... A set of Win32 API functions that control Windows Services and Access RIghts ( they are more than 15-year-old ) are designed for practical applications on WIndows NT-like platforms and I don't see any reasons for theoretical discussions.
0 Kudos
karl_lillevold
Beginner

iliyapolak: Are you describing the "Allow service to interact with desktop" in the Log On tab for service properties? I tried this, and it makes no difference for Quicksync availability. I was also told "It's a deprecated option for interop with very old services".

Sergey: I agree, I am not discussing theory. My point was we cannot use a lightweight traybar app for encoding, when we need encoding services to run without a user being logged on. I am still awaiting an answer to how you are suggesting this can be solving in practice.

0 Kudos
karl_lillevold
Beginner

[deleted - another duplicate]

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Microsoft's solution for "graphics device" usage from a service has been the creation of D3D11 (a.k.a. DX11).  We understand this forward progress does not solve limitation in Microsoft's architecture for older platforms.

To clarify, issue on DX9-based platforms is more then just session 0 running without a user, it is 'access to graphics device acceleration' while running without a user.

-Tony

0 Kudos
karl_lillevold
Beginner

Thanks, Tony, for clarifying. I am pretty sure I understand the situation on Windows 7. It is unfortunate, but an architetural/design limitation imposed by Windows DX9. We do not have time to focus on Windows 8 at the moment, but will keep that, and Quicksync in mind, for later.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

No I was referring to registry settings.Can you look at your service registry settings if the TYPE parameter is present?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I suppose that services which are "pinned" to invisble window will not have or allow an access to graphics hardware.

0 Kudos
karl_lillevold
Beginner

Thanks, iliyapolak, but I think Tony from Intel clarified the situation well. In Windows 7 with DX9, Quicksync is not available while running without a user. In Windows 8 with DX11, Quicksync and graphics device acceleration is available.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi Karl,

what is the situation when DX11 is installed on Win7?

0 Kudos
karl_lillevold
Beginner

I don't really know. I can only refer to what Tony from Intel just wrote: it requires D3D11 and Windows 8. I can only guess that Microsoft does what they usually do, and which I have been running into with their Media Foundation encoders and decoders: all the nice features require Windows 8 :( even though the basic functionality is there on Windows 7.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Sad but this is the reality when you need to deal with  Microsoft and when their newest OS is released.

0 Kudos