Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Android Camera Streaming

m_g_
Beginner

My app is based on the Camera Streaming sample code. I am seeing low frame rates while streaming (my test device is  4.4). Before streaming the preview looks like it's full frame rate (> 24fps). Once i start the capture it drops to 3-4 fps for the preview and the stream to Wowza. I have disabled all effects in the pipeline. The CPU shows 36% idle. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

Can you provide us more details on your test device. You are using Android OS 4.4? Also once the application starts capturing and streaming simultaneously directly to Wowza, there is a negligible drop in framerate, but not to 3-4 fps. Can you test the internet connectivity speed when the test device and Wowza are connected on the same network. We have tested on Android tablets and donot see the performance drop.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
m_g_
Beginner

I am using a Samsung S3 that's been reset to factory settings. My Wowza server is on my local Wifi network and the Wowza GoCoder downloaded from the Play store streams at 30fps at a higher bandwidth from the same device.   

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

We confirm that performance\fps differ from device to device in capturing scenario. Our assumption is that SW codec in used instead of HW by some reason. Our tests show that this is device problem, not INDE or CameraCapturing in particular. Most of devices give normal FPS, but there are several exceptions.

Thanks,

0 Kudos