Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12605 Discussions

removal of uClinux-dist and u-boot gits from sopc server

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all,  

As our network bandwidth is limited, we have to remove some git repo which are either deprecated or unnecessary.  

The uClinux-dist, which was cloned from Blackfin uclinux, was deprecated since 2012R2 as stated in Blackfin web site. Later blackfin releases are based on Buildroot. There are few updates from blackfin, and will be removed from our server. If you need update, please fetch from remote "blackfin".  

We will use buildroot and yocto for nios2 rootfs/kernel/toolchain building in near future.  

The u-boot git will be removed from our server, because nios2 support is up-to-date in mainline u-boot and I am the custodian of nios2 arch. Please fetch update from remove "denx".  

Some very old branches in linux-2.6 git will be removed, too. I will run git-gc to reduce the size.  

Other git reop for building old nommu tool are removed, including, 

binutils, elf2flt, gcc3, gcc, glibc, glibc-ports, insight, and uClibc . 

There is a new linux guide, 

http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/documentation/niosiilinuxusermanual 

- Hippo
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Hippo, 

I am installing uClinux for NiosII without MMU. Can I still follow these tuto : http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/linux_desktop_install and http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/install_nios_ii_linux

Sorry hippo, I didn't understand what I have to do to be up-to-date.  

The last time I use uClinux on nios II MMU-less was 2 years ago I need to do a make vendor hw_select. Could I also follow this tuto : http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/devicetree

Thank in advance.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hippo, 

Can you clarify a bit on what to use for the nios2 please?  

I've used both the non-mmu and MMU nios2 for years and want to make sure when I do a new project I have the lastest tools and kernel. I want to be able to do non-mmu AND MMU projects (sometimes you don't need all the mmu stuff). 

I tried the rocketboards niosII Linux and I don't see the pata_altera_cf driver that I used to use for my compact flash in branches that are now removed. 

I also used a known good *.dts and *.sof from the previous MMU version and I can get a kernel but it doesn't boot. I have a post on that but haven't gotten any responses. And this appears to be only MMU? Or is that now just a function of your *.dts file? 

So your statement: 

"We will use buildroot and yocto for nios2 rootfs/kernel/toolchain building in the near future" - can you elaborate. 

Also, I am getting into the Cyclone 5 and Soc environment tools soon but I'm assuming that's separate from nios2. 

I haven't fetched blackfin yet to look at it.  

Thanks in Advance
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I think that almost all voluntary developers and maintainers for Nios2 Linux became extinction. I'm developing my system with the intention of practical use, but maybe their intention is different. Their policy is that "Why am I porting Linux? Because there is a new CPU!". So once they see the "Linux boot message", they will move to the next mine. I'm calling these people "Porting Junky". Also they have a difficult complication that they tend to be attracted toward new versions. Of course, their main concern is to commit themselves to those new things and the completeness (= bug fix) is completely out of their interest. 

Moreover, it seems that Altera does not think and treat the Nios2 Linux system seriously.  

So if you want to develop your Nios2 Linux system, you must do it by yourself. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Also, I am getting into the Cyclone 5 and Soc environment tools soon but I'm assuming that's separate from nios2. 

I haven't fetched blackfin yet to look at it.  

--- Quote End ---  

If you can select another way, I strongly recommend it because ARM Linux system is developed for practical use. 

Kazu
0 Kudos