Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

target processor: not responding

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is my first try with NIOS2 and the niosII_stratix_1s10_es eval. board. Compilation, cofiguration 

worked fine. I then invoke IDE and build Hello_world which gets downloaded to the board ok but 

then I get the message: 

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Pausing target processor: not responding. 

Resetting and trying again: FAILED 

Leaving target processor paused http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif  

Can you help? Please help? I don&#39;t know where to start to look.
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same problem, with the low-cost Cyclone development kit, with the ep1c12q240. 

It is also my first experience with the Altera development tools. 

The first few compilations the processor worked ok, but all subsequent compilations generate processors that apparently are dead (I kept the .sof file, and it still works - so it is not a hardware failure).  

I added a timer with the timeout pulse enabled, followed by a flip-flop and a led. It should blink if the processor is minimally working. In the first compilations the led blik as expected, and the "hello world" works ok. In later compilations the processor seems dead, and I get the same message as you. 

I suggest you do the same; if the led does not blink, we should have the same problem. 

I am using Quartus 4.2 sp1, build 178, and Nios 2.1.1.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also encounted the trouble. 

Hope someone can answer the question. 

//bow http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Leaving target processor paused[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

The reason nios2-download is trying to reset the processor and pull it into debug mode in one operation is that this doesn&#39;t allow any user code to be executed. So regardless of what you downloaded last time the processor should go into debug mode if its working. 

A failure message here normally indicates that the processor is broken in some way - please check that your clocks are running and within spec and that your reset is working correctly.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am following the tutorial to the letter. The clock frequency is 50Mhz. How can I tell 

if the processor is brocken? The purpose of a tutorial is that it works right out of the 

box, I shouldn&#39;t have to add any debug hardware.  

There is a small difference between the tutorial and my actual SOPC it is this: 

Under the "Nios II More cpu Setting" I have the following: 

Reset Address ............ext_flash.............................0x00000000... 0x00000000 

Exception Address...... ext_ram ..............................0x00000020....0x00800020 

Break Location.............cpu/jtag_debug_module.....0x00000020....0x00900020 <<<<< not in tutorial 

In the tutorial I have only "More cpu Setting" and only the first 2 line.  

My local app. eng. is of no help. I leally need to get this system going asap. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif  

Thanks guys.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

on my cyclone development board I had similar problems.  

The Nios IDE could not attach to the cpu. This problem was fixed after I received a valid license file for my development kit from altera. The problem occured with the free web-license. I&#39;m not sure if thats the problem you have, but may be it helps.  

I think there are at least three license-types. first the evaluation-license (if you use the 30-days evaluation period). Second the free web-license that allows generation of time-limited sof-files. And third the license you can get from altera (that one uses your NIC-ID). May be you should check what license-file you use and refer to altera wich features are enabled or disabled in each of that license-types.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I download the configuration which is "successfuly performed" I also get a window that says: 

"Click Cancel to stop using OpenCore Plus 

Time remaining: unlimited, 

CANCEL"  

I click on it and the window closes. Does that have anything with it? http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried a fresh installation, and the first compilation didn´t work. I really don´t know what makes some compilations to work.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by affluent007@Apr 5 2005, 10:40 AM 

when i download the configuration which is "successfuly performed" i also get a window that says: 

"click cancel to stop using opencore plus 

time remaining: unlimited, 

cancel"  

i click on it and the window closes. does that have anything with it?  http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#emo_dir#>/mad.gif  

--- Quote End ---  

I think it must keep the window opening instead of "cancel" it.  

In the compilation&#39;s reports,you can find a sentence say"Warning: Megafunction that supports OpenCore Plus feature will stop functioning in 1 hour after device is programmed". 

It&#39;s only my comprehends.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

affluent007, 

Do you have a valid license (either NIC-based or otherwise) for the Nios II processor? If not, then, as "flyingbowman" says, you _must_ leave this Window open in Quartus II. Closing the window, on an unlicensed core, will result in exactly the behavior you describe. 

If you are having licensing issues, that should definitely be something your local apps. guy can help with... :-) 

Cheers, 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by affluent007@Apr 4 2005, 07:58 PM 

using cable "usb-blaster [usb-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

pausing target processor: not responding. 

resetting and trying again: failed 

leaving target processor paused http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#emo_dir#>/sad.gif  

can you help? please help? i don&#39;t know where to start to look. 

--- Quote End ---  

The problem need to be discuss continuely. 

Because i have solved the wrong of open core, but i also can not drive nios II IDE&#39;s "run as nios hardware", 

the same word will occurs.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Anyone who ever encounted the same problem have some answer or good ideds, please provide it to me. 

I need your help. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you check if the quartus design loads correctly onto the board? We had more or less the same problem when following the tutorial. In our tutorial file, the pin assignments were missing. When compiling the NIOS II design and downloading, quartus does not give an error.  

So maybe you should check if the pins are assigned in your design. When the tutorial design of NIOS II loads correctly onto the board, all the leds of the 7-segment display are lit.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It looks like it is loading and running OK now, most of the time. The app. eng. promised to  

get me a permanent license for the processor. I tried running a number of programs such as 

Hello_world and count_binary they work ok. 

A problem I am seeing is that the lcd_display never works and the seven_segment_pio only 

works in the factory default mode. All the buttons and individual leds work fine. How could this 

be? 

I tried the board_diag program and it fails to build - it can not build because: 

"SEVEN_SEG_PIO_BASE was not declared..." Could this be related to the first problem? 

Thanks again to flyingbowman! http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suspect the problem with your LCD is that it does not work with the compact Flash card plugged in. This is in the errata and also mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am having the same issue. Here&#39;s what I discovered and, hopefully, I&#39;m right AND it will soon be resolved. 

When you start with a fresh download, everything works fine, but if you did a little deeper into the Analysis and Synthesis Messages you may find a string of lines that reads,  

"Warning: Messages from megafunction that supports OpenCore Plus feature 

"+ Warning: Messages from megafunction that supports OpenCore Plus feature Nios II Processor 

" + Warning: The reset input will be asserted when the evaluation time expires 

"Warning: Megafunction that supports OpenCore Plus feature will stop functioning in 1 hour after device is programmed" 

After that hour, you can download your Quartus sof file, albiet, time limited. After the hour expores, you&#39;ll get 

Using cable "ByteBlasterII [LPT1]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Leaving target processor paused 

Eventually, if you keep recompiling Quartus, SOPC and NIOS IDE projects, you&#39;ll find you get an error relating to a mismatch in the read versus expected sysid and timestamp values. 

If you get here...STOP...you&#39;re just spinning your wheels! 

Call and submit an Altera mySupport SR! I certain it&#39;s license related 

Chris
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by rugbybloke@Apr 7 2005, 07:53 AM 

i suspect the problem with your lcd is that it does not work with the compact flash card plugged in. this is in the errata and also mentioned elsewhere on this forum. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks rugbybloke, you were right! 

Any idea regarding seven_segment_pio ? and board_diag problems? http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I already submitted a SR to Altera. 

Someone knows how to call the attention of Altera service personal to your request?
0 Kudos