Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Adding a PIO for leds to my qsys and could not download and execute the program

homeinit
Novice

Hello,

I am building a qsys SOC, I am using an extern SDRAM connected to my NIOS;

the project works and I could print anything and debug the project,

When I added a PIO connected to the SOC the project could not be downloaded to the hardware.

Of course, I am regenerating the system when I make these changes but the debugging is not working.

here is a capture of my soc:

homeinit_0-1681422272194.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi homeinit

When compiling the project did you face any error or warning?

From the picture i see that you have disabled the PIO ip, is this intended?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
homeinit
Novice

He Jingyang,

I disabled it to test the system and make sure that the system is working without the PIO.

I didn't see any warning or error due to the compilation.

here is the system If I enable it:

homeinit_0-1681467538361.png

homeinit_1-1681468939319.png

Regards,

0 Kudos
homeinit
Novice

I managed to execute the program on the SDRAM  memory by connecting the pll_slave to the data master but when I execute the code it seems the result is not what the C code does.

I could not understand why instead of alt_putstr("Hello from Nios II!\n"); it printed, "Hehho brom Jios II!"

It looks like the rest of the program is okay but I am not sure why this happening! I changed the size of the JTAG buffer size before but I don't know if I have to change anything else if I pass from 64 bytes to 128 bytes. It could be related to this modification I did and still has a side effect.

I'm a bit suspicious about running the code in the SDRAM, I'm not sure about the timing parameters I set in the SDRAM IP controller ...

Here is a picture:

homeinit_2-1681471882925.png

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Apologies for the late reply.

Did you happen to enable the small newlib option in the NIOS BSP?

If yes could you disable it.

Regards

JIngyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi homeinit

Any update on this case?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Since there are no feedback for this thread, I shall set this thread to close pending. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

If you happened to close this thread you might receive a survey. If you think you would rank your support experience less than 10 out of 10, please allow me to correct it before closing or if the problem can’t be corrected, please let me know the cause so that I may improve your future service experience.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos