Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

problem with cable and ecos applications

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have some doubts. I will apreciate if someone can help me... 

Is there any problem if I use ByteBlaster II cable to run ecos applications on the board? I couldn't get the "hello world" message in the first example of the tutorial. I followed the tutorial, there wasn't any error. the following message occurred: 

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

[SOPC Builder]$ nios2-terminal 

nios2-terminal: connected to hardware target using JTAG UART on cable 

nios2-terminal: "ByteBlasterII [LPT1]", device 1, instance 0 

nios2-terminal: Warning: The JTAG cable you are using is not supported for Nios 

nios2-terminal: II systems.  You may experience intermittent JTAG communication 

nios2-terminal: failures with this cable.  Please use a USB Blaster revision B 

nios2-terminal: cable or another supported cable.  Please refer to the file 

nios2-terminal: errata.txt included in the Nios II development kit documents 

nios2-terminal: directory for more information. 

nios2-terminal: starting in terminal mode only (Control-C exits)[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

I followed the uCLinux tutorial, and I could download the Linux Kernel in the board. How can I do that with eCos? Is there any way? Or I can download just a eCos application? What happened when I downloaded the helloWorld example? 

Sorry for the newbie questions... 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello maikon, 

I tested the „hello world“ example from the eCos kit with my own hardware and with the ByteBlaster II cable without any problems. More information about the posted message of the Nios II IDE can be found under: http://www.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?a...&hl=byteblaster (http://www.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?act=st&f=2&t=438&hl=byteblaster

For a running eCos system you need a proper Nios II FPGA configuration. After configuring the FPGA just follow the tutorial exactly. 

For more help please give some more details about your hardware, software version, … 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I read the discussion about the kinds of cables, and I think that this is my problem... I used the ByteBlaster II and ByteBlaster MV cables, and there was the same problem. 

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

[SOPC Builder]$ nios2-terminal 

nios2-terminal: connected to hardware target using JTAG UART on cable 

nios2-terminal: "ByteBlasterII [LPT1]", device 1, instance 0 

nios2-terminal: Warning: The JTAG cable you are using is not supported for Nios 

nios2-terminal: II systems.  You may experience intermittent JTAG communication 

nios2-terminal: failures with this cable.  Please use a USB Blaster revision B 

nios2-terminal: cable or another supported cable.  Please refer to the file 

nios2-terminal: errata.txt included in the Nios II development kit documents 

nios2-terminal: directory for more information. 

nios2-terminal: starting in terminal mode only (Control-C exits)[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

I&#39;m using:[list][*]QuartusII 4.1 SP2 

[*]Nios II - SP1 

[*]ByteBlaster II and ByteBlaster MV  

[*]Stratix EP1S10-ES 

[/list] 

When I run the "program_flash hello" command, it occurs the message: Flash programming complete... done.  

When I download the NiosII processor from Quartus or some application from Nios IDE, there wasn&#39;t occurs any errors. 

Thanks, 

Maikon.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello maikon, 

Of course you will get the posted message if you are using ByteBlaster II or ByteBlaster MV but I don’t think that this is your problem. The “hello world†example is working in my design with the ByteBlaster MV so there is no reason that it shouldn’t work in your case. 

You wrote that after downloading “hello†to your board you got the message that it is “doneâ€. So where is your problem with this? All seems to be fine. If you FPGA is configured correctly you will get the nice message “hello world†in the terminal (Nios II SDK Shell) from your eCos system after doing a CPU reset. 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos