OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

Old version(s) of CPU Runtime for OpenCL Applications?

MNWhite
Beginner

I can't seem to find *any* older versions of the CPU Runtime for OpenCL. All of the links that seem to refer to older versions instead eventually lead back to the current version. I'm looking for version 18.1 specifically.

For full background, I have an AMD CPU (Threadripper 7980X) on a newly built computer. The latest version of the Intel Runtime lists the CPU as a device, and I can run extremely basic kernels on it (e.g. a + b). However, my code crashes when I load non-trivial kernels. Those kernels work on my prior computer (Threadripper 1950X) on Intel Runtime for OpenCL 18.1, so I'd like to test whether this older version might solve my issue.

And yes, I recognize the irony of asking on the Intel forum for help with my AMD processor.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
HEMA_WU
Beginner

Hi. May I have a right solution.

My desktop (Ryzen R9-7950x)  also need  the CPU Runtime for OpenCL for Sci calculation.   

And I've tried many versions of the OpenCLRuntime,including 2024.0,2022,2021 ,2023. 

The 'w_opencl_runtime_p_2023.2.0.49500.exe'  can run normally .   You may download the program with this link (https://registrationcenter-download.intel.com/akdlm/IRC_NAS/faf10bb4-a1b3-46cf-ae0b-986b419e1b1c-opencl/w_opencl_runtime_p_2023.2.0.49500.exe)

View solution in original post

12 Replies
cw_intel

Hi,

Can you try running your code on an Intel CPU? If you can reproduce your issue on Intel CPU with the latest OpenCL CPU RT,  then please provide us with a reproducer and we will try to fix it. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
HEMA_WU
Beginner

Hi. May I have a right solution.

My desktop (Ryzen R9-7950x)  also need  the CPU Runtime for OpenCL for Sci calculation.   

And I've tried many versions of the OpenCLRuntime,including 2024.0,2022,2021 ,2023. 

The 'w_opencl_runtime_p_2023.2.0.49500.exe'  can run normally .   You may download the program with this link (https://registrationcenter-download.intel.com/akdlm/IRC_NAS/faf10bb4-a1b3-46cf-ae0b-986b419e1b1c-opencl/w_opencl_runtime_p_2023.2.0.49500.exe)

MNWhite
Beginner

This worked, thank you! For reference for the future, how did you generate that link? I kept trying to find download links for old versions, but the website would repeatedly loop me back to current version's page.

My only Intel computer is a Surface, so I'm not sure it's even capable of running my code. I'll try to make a pared down version so it can.

For Intel engineers who read this: The R9-7950X and Threadripper 7980X are both Zen 4 CPUs that were released in 2023: February for the 7950 and November for the 7980. The Intel OpenCL Runtime 2023 (April) works correctly on both CPUs, but the 2024 version can't load non-trivial kernels. If it helps, I could get kernels to *load* by eliminating math functions like exp, floor, and ceil (trunc seemed ok, which was strange), but the kernel wouldn't always *run* even with those changes. Extremely basic kernels with only arithmetic operations do work. TLDR: Some fatal issue for the latest AMD CPUs has been introduced in the 2024 runtime.

0 Kudos
HEMA_WU
Beginner

Just lucky!

I'm not a developer, but the software I use relies on the OpenCL Runtime. 

AMD has dropped OpenCL support since 2019, so I'll always keep an eye out for Intel if new drivers are released. And I'll save the history link.

Thanks Intel! A GREAT company .

0 Kudos
cw_intel

Thank you for your information.  But Intel OpenCL CPU RT is for Intel hardware. For the supported hardware, please check the release notes. We cannot make sure it works correctly on AMD CPU.  If you have the same problem with 2024.0 version on Intel CPU, please let us know and we will fix it.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
MNWhite
Beginner

Yeah, I had a brief back-and-forth with the AMD team about this, and was left very unsatisfied with their answer. They said something about switching to clang as their back end, and thus had to give up CPU support for OpenCL. FWIW, I think OpenCL is now (or will soon be) using clang.

But yes: Thank you, Intel, for providing drivers that are so good that they even work with your competitor's hardware!

0 Kudos
sta87664
Beginner

I have the same problem. I also need version 18.1 specifically.

I am very confused by the replies and "solution" here. Version 18.1 is ***NOT*** posted anywhere or a link given (unless I am missing it), and I cannot find one via Internet searching. This is EXTREMELY frustrating.

Users and admins need older versions all of the time. Not posting them or making them available is not user friendly.

I know that the setup file is an .msi, I know that its CRC32 is 7740BF6A, and I know that it's about 64 megabytes.

But, I do not have the file. That's what I need.

0 Kudos
MNWhite
Beginner

To be more clear, the 2023 version (linked by HEMA_WU) worked for my purposes, but I was still not able to locate the 2018 version. I thought they were going to post the link where they *found* the link for the 2023 version, as it seemed like it had the "history" of older versions. Try asking them?

0 Kudos
sta87664
Beginner

Spent nearly 2 hours on this now. All searching leads to dead ends. Dead torrents, sketchy Chinese sites with no way to actually download, different search engines.... it's not on Usenet, torrents, FTP searches, etc. etc. etc.

The setup file is named opencl-runtime-18.1-x64-setup.

Meanwhile, Linux users get to enjoy all previous released versions available for download via Github. So I guess Windows users are left out in the cold if they need an older version.

If I find it somehow before someone else I will find a way to post a link to it here. But it's looking pretty hopeless at this point.

0 Kudos
sta87664
Beginner

This..... was WAY WAY WAY too hard to locate. Someone I knew happened to have it buried on one of their hard drives.

This isn't the way this is suppose to work. I feel like I struck gold or found lost media, which I guess I did.

For anyone who needs it (like I did), I attached it.

0 Kudos
Jane
Employee

I am from OpenCL CPU RT team. Can you please let us know if you are using 32bit or 64bit binaries? 

0 Kudos
MNWhite
Beginner

I'm using 64bit binaries. I really appreciate any assistance you provide, so that future versions work with non-Intel CPUs. I understand that's not your job, so I'm extra thankful.

0 Kudos