Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14555 Discussions

13700HX Undervolt/Overclock lost after CMOS

RobertoC
Beginner

Hi, Yesterday I was playing around with undervolting my HP Omen 16 (2023) with the Intel 13700HX because of the high temperature under load. I was able to change settings with Intel XTU and Throttlestop software, but it was not enough and I decided to repaste my laptop and to do this I disconnected the battery. After this I got a message of a CMOS reset (because of the battery remove) but everything is working, temps are finally good but I "lost" the possibility to use Throttlestop or Intel XTU as if my cpu is now locked (XTU gives me a grayed out option with written "Overclocking is disabled on this system"). I thought it was a windows bug and I did a clean install of the OS but the problem persists. Any idea how to unlock my HX cpu?

Ps, using Hp Omen hub software I'm still able to perform undervolt

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @RobertoC

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your issue.

Based on the description of your issue, please try the following:

1.     Update the BIOS on your motherboard. Refer to your motherboard BIOS vendor for support. If this is an OEM system, contact the computer manufacturer (OEM) for the latest updates and installation instructions. The OEM can also assist in case it is required to adjust BIOS settings to allow Intel® XTU to properly access the BIOS overclocking capabilities.

2.     Check with your OEM or motherboard vendor if they are using a chipset that supports overclocking such as Z or X. If the chipset is not Z or X, then overclocking features may be grayed out, as some other chipsets can support different levels of overclocking.

3.     Uninstall the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU).

4.     Download and install the latest version of Intel® XTU available on the Download Center.

5.     Update Windows*.

6.     If the above steps did not resolve the issue, try to reinstall the operating system.

Additional information

In order to get full access to CPU and memory controls, your motherboard BIOS should support altering of CPU and/or RAM values (usually applicable for Z- or X- chipsets). To get more information about supported controls, contact your motherboard's manufacturer.

Additional disclaimer

Altering clock frequency or voltage may void any product warranties and reduce stability, security, performance, and life of the processor and other components. Check with system and component manufacturers for details.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
RobertoC
Beginner

Hi Isaac, thanks for the reply.

So, points 1 to 6 are done but the problem persists, I also checked the core isolation and VBS to be set to off as before when I used XTU regularly without problems. I think the problem is due to the CMOS reset, which disabled some BIOS features, I'm waiting for the reply from the OEM and in case I would contact the MB manufacturer.

Are there any other things (like drivers or missing SDK) in your knowledge that may be causing problems that are preventing my HX CPU  from being used with XTU? I can't even set pl1 and pl2 anymore (I can change the values, but it reverts to the original settings immediately.).

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @RobertoC

Thank you for reaching out with your concerns. We appreciate your patience and understand the frustration you're experiencing. After reviewing your inquiry, we'd like to assure you that we're committed to finding a solution for the issues you're facing.

At this point, we are planning to conduct further research to pinpoint the root cause of the problem you've encountered with your HX CPU and XTU software. While we explore this, we highly recommend waiting for a response from the OEM as they may possess valuable insights or potential fixes related to the CMOS reset and BIOS features.

Rest assured that we're actively working on your case and will contact you as soon as we have more information or potential solutions. Our goal is to resolve this matter for you as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your understanding, and we look forward to assisting you further in due course.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @RobertoC

Thank you for your time. 

This problem may be related to the System Manufacturer's limitations and customizations since is stored on BIOS, which is not a feature included on our end. For that reason, we recommend you contact your System Manufacturer to continue receiving assistance and investigate this issue with the proper team.

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @RobertoC  

I hope you are doing great. 

As we have not heard back from you, we will proceed to close this thread now. 

If you need assistance with other matters, please feel free to contact us back and submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos