Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14573 Discussions

ASUS P5LP-LE upgrade question

idata
Employee

I currently have an old ASUS P5LP-LE motherboard in an HP Pavillion m7160n Media Center PC. I recently aquired a fully functional Intel Xeon 3040 dual core processor with a clock speed of 1.86GHz. I know that the HP support site only says that the Pentium D, Celeron D, and Core 2 Duo's are compatable, but I wanted to know if there was any way to add the Xeon as it has PassMark Score of 1,158 over the current Pentium D 820 with a PassMark Score of 742.

This would be a significant performance upgrade for me. Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

If the processor is not listed on the motherboard manufacturer website as compatible with your particular motherboard, the processor will not work, of if it does, it will be running out of specifications, voiding the processor warranty, and the motherboard could be damaged as well because of running a non-supported processor.

So you need to make sure first that the processor is fully compatible with the motherboard, keep in mind that compatibility information can only be provided by the motherboard manufacturer.

0 Kudos