Processors
Processors (Intel® Core™, Intel® Xeon®, etc); processor utilities and programs (Intel® Processor Identification Utility, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, Intel® Easy Streaming Wizard, etc.)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11684 Discussions

CPU comparison

idata
Community Manager

Comparison of an old intel pentium (Laptop in 1.7GHz and winXP_32) and a new i7 950 in 3.07 GHz (desctop Win Vista_64) : In most matlab applications and in matlab benchmarks, the new CPU ourperforms the old one (as it should be the case: faster 4-5 times). In one code however with nested for loops, the old one is faster by 50%. Anyone with a clue why this happens? Could it be logical?

Note: The code includes interations of the form:

for k=1:Iter

for i=1:n

for j=1:m

f(i,j)=...simple algebra of i and j without complex functions

end

end

end

Matlab version 7.6. The same results (old cpu faster by 50%) no matter how many cores are enabled (multithreading using the matlab preferences) in the new CPU (either 1 or 4 or 8).

Note 2: The question focuses mainly on how different CPUs realise the codes and not how a for-loop code could be optimised.

0 Kudos
0 Replies