Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14573 Discussions

CPU voltage on i7-14700K

praanto
Beginner

Hello!

I currently have a i7-14700K running on an ASUS ROG motherboard. CPU core voltage with Intel recommended settings goes up to 1,5V at times and with ASUS recommended settings goes up to 1,48V at times.

Have been reading in some other online forums that keep saying 1,4 is too high. To be noted, this doesn't constantly stay there. Estimated average voltage during idle is around 1,3V. 

Should I be worried or should I try and set a max voltage limit on the processor?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
H_Mlysgeek
New Contributor I

Hello there praanto...

The voltage readings you're observing with your i7-14700K paired with the ASUS ROG motherboard fall within expected ranges under specific conditions, particularly when adhering to Intel's recommended settings. It's not unusual for the voltage to momentarily spike up to 1.5V during boost scenarios. However, sustained high voltages can elevate thermal output and potentially diminish the CPU's lifespan.

An average idle voltage around 1.3V is typical and generally not a cause for alarm. Concern arises when voltage remains elevated during prolonged periods of heavy workload.

If you're comfortable navigating BIOS settings, establishing a maximum voltage limit could offer reassurance and aid in thermal management. Experimenting with a negative voltage offset might help reduce the maximum voltage without compromising performance, though finding the optimal balance may require some trial and error.

Prior to implementing any adjustments, ensure your CPU cooling solution is adequate, as improved cooling can assist in handling higher voltages and temperatures. Additionally, regularly updating your BIOS is advisable, as manufacturers frequently release updates that enhance stability and performance.

It's important to monitor system stability post-adjustments.

Regards,

Harry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
H_Mlysgeek
New Contributor I

Hello there praanto...

The voltage readings you're observing with your i7-14700K paired with the ASUS ROG motherboard fall within expected ranges under specific conditions, particularly when adhering to Intel's recommended settings. It's not unusual for the voltage to momentarily spike up to 1.5V during boost scenarios. However, sustained high voltages can elevate thermal output and potentially diminish the CPU's lifespan.

An average idle voltage around 1.3V is typical and generally not a cause for alarm. Concern arises when voltage remains elevated during prolonged periods of heavy workload.

If you're comfortable navigating BIOS settings, establishing a maximum voltage limit could offer reassurance and aid in thermal management. Experimenting with a negative voltage offset might help reduce the maximum voltage without compromising performance, though finding the optimal balance may require some trial and error.

Prior to implementing any adjustments, ensure your CPU cooling solution is adequate, as improved cooling can assist in handling higher voltages and temperatures. Additionally, regularly updating your BIOS is advisable, as manufacturers frequently release updates that enhance stability and performance.

It's important to monitor system stability post-adjustments.

Regards,

Harry

0 Kudos