Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14546 Discussions

Failure running Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool

sauterd
Beginner

Hello,

I have an Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz processor that I am trying to run diagnostics on.  I recently had some overheating issues that I think I have resolved but wanted to check if I had possibly damaged the processor in any way so I wanted to check things out.  It would sometimes reach 100 degrees Celsuis but wouldn't automatically shutdown so I am a little concerned I could have caused some damage.  However, I have downloaded the 64 bit version of the tool (I am on Windows 10) but it does not run through the entire diagnostics and fails on the MMXSSE Test saying "could not load DetectUtils64.dll".  I verified that the file does exist in the installation directory.  Below is the output from running the diagnostics tool.  I am also attaching the TestResults_Full.txt file as well if that helps.  Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Update:  After reading the documentation it says that if I didn't have .NET Framework 4.5.2 installed it would automatically install it for me and if it couldn't the installation would fail.  My installation said it was successful but I don't think it installed .NET Framework 4.5.2 as it appears that I only have up to .NET Framework 4.0.  Could that be part of the problem? Thanks again for any help you can provide.

--- Genuine Intel Test ---
Version 1.0.16.64b.W

Expected -- GenuineIntel
Detected -- GenuineIntel

Genuine Intel CPU Module Success

--- Brand String Test ---
Version 1.0.20.64b.W

IntelR CoreTM i7-8700K CPU  3.70GHz

Brand String Module Success....

--- Cache Test --- 
Version 1.0.16.64b.W

--- Reading Cache Size --- 

- Detected L1 Data Cache Size -- 32
 - Detected L1 Inst Cache Size -- 32
 - Detected L2 Cache Size -- 256
 - Detected L3 Cache Size -- 12288

Cache Module Success

--- MMXSSE Test --- 
Version 1.0.22.64b.W
..could not load DetectUtils64.dll 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I think you are correct. It looks like a DLL would not load due to missing dependencies. Another visitor had this same problem. You may want to try manually downloading and installing the .NET package. Here is a link to the manual (MS calls it offline) install version of the package: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos