Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14574 Discussions

High usage on skylake cpu on random occasions

DTan4
Beginner

Hi, i am currently using this set up and i have some problems with my cpu as it randomly spikes only on some occasions like when i downloaded a game on steam.

My rig:

Intel i5 6600k

ASUS GTX 970

2x8GB G-Skill V Ram

620w Seasonic PSU

blah blah blah

Link to my task manager. I wasn't running anything else other than skype and opera.

https://gyazo.com/907de60d128c3371f6cb658dc644b2bf Gyazo - 907de60d128c3371f6cb658dc644b2bf.png

And i have checked the updates for my nvidia gpu and my windows update. Both are updated to the latest version. Please help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello decx98,

Would you please provide another screenshot about Tab Details of Task Manager, and see which one consumes CPU time that so high?

Through the png file you provided, you might be using Windows 10 United Kingdom, I wish you have already updated your windows to version 10.0.10586.

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos
DTan4
Beginner

As i stated in my description, there wasn't any thing else on, and i would just get lag spikes until the activity is over, for example, i was downloading a game, it was spiking until the game has finished downloading, however, this issue only started recently, as i have had this cpu for about close ot half a year now, and most of the time it is fine.

0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

That might be caused by the process, MsMpEng.exe, which is an integrated security software, previously named as Microsoft Security Essential. Each time when files are transferring from networks, USB Drive or other external storages into your local storage, it would scan those files and consumes large time of CPU. If so, your processor is no problem. There is another situation, pseudo process, System Interrupts, if it consume lot of time of your processor, that might be something abnormal with your hardware devices. Anyway, I suggest you to contact Microsoft first.

0 Kudos
DTan4
Beginner

I just ran some test and checked, the things that would previously cause my cpu to go up, i ran it again and i saw my System Interrupts going up, so does that mean that something is wrong with my hardware?

0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

That might be caused by the misuse of device drivers. The reasons for the high CPU time consumptions of System Interrupts are very complex, so I only suggest you to contact with Microsoft for possible solutions.

0 Kudos