Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14552 Discussions

J1900 Processor and HD Bitstream

jsmit88
Novice

Does anyone know if the J1900 processor supports HD bitstream (TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc). Windows 8.1 64 Bit. I have tried everything to updating the bios, updating the latest Intel Display Audio driver, updating to the latest graphics driver, etc. While researching online I do see others mentioning similar issue with this new set of processors.

I would like to keep this processor if this show stopper issue is resolved.

38 Replies
MCarn1
Novice

I don't get any audio at all with a dts-hd audio stream, I have to reboot into openelec ! Pita, I'm wondering if hacking another driver might work? Will probably try extracting the audio infs from a newer driver to see if I can force anything? I'll let you know how I get on.

0 Kudos
adef2
Beginner

mattc30 - thanks - have you tried going into the XBMC Settings > System menu (putting settings to "expert" level to reveal all options) then setting "Number of Channels" to 5.1 and disabling audio passthrough? I think this should make XBMC software decode any DTS-HD or DD TrueHD streams to 5.1 PCM and output that to your receiver over the HDMI, but I'm not certain - for one thing it's unusual for the receiver not to do the decoding, and for another I'm not sure how the relatively weak J1900 processor will cope! If it works, and doesn't cause much extra CPU load, then it may be a good work around for now.

0 Kudos
MCarn1
Novice

Hi gor-gor, I gave that a go and it seems to do the trick, amp displays multi-out but it definately sounds right. It's just a shame it's not supported for bitstream as it psychologically feels much better getting dts-hd lit up on receiver. Thanks loads for the suggestion, much better than having to reboot into separate os. :)

0 Kudos
adef2
Beginner

mattc30 nice! How is playback using this method, are HD videos playing OK with no choppiness? I think I'll probably just pull the trigger and buy this system and hopefully Intel will fix the driver problem later.

A note for anyone wanting to use the above workaround, when XBMC decodes the compressed HD audio to uncompressed PCM it increases the required bandwidth to transmit the audio signal to your receiver. With an HDMI connection this isn't a problem, 5.1 PCM can be transmitted with the bandwidth available, but for a digital optical or digital coaxial connection the maximum number of PCM channels that can be transmitted is 2.1. So, you need to use HDMI for it to work.

0 Kudos
MCarn1
Novice

Works a treat, no stuttering, buffering or chopiness :) I did have to disable dxva2 option and enable a sync method but all seems to be working fine after initial testing.

0 Kudos
MAlme6
Novice

Hi..

Have anyone tried with Windows 7? Does it work?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
NKunt
Novice

I'm also having the same issue on my Intel Celeron N2930 processor,

thread here: /message/251589# 251589 https://communities.intel.com/message/251589# 251589

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information. I will update this post as soon as I get any updates.

Allan.

NGift
Beginner

Selection from this thread:

Jun 10, 2014 10:28 AM

As soon as I can, I will send you a message with my findings

Jun 18, 2014 7:56 AM

I will come back here as soon as I get any confirmation

Jun 26, 2014 8:58 AM

I am still waiting for their response, as soon as I get updates, I will come back here

Jul 24, 2014 7:11 AM

As soon as I get updates, I will come back here.

Sep 12, 2014 10:05 AM

as soon as I get updates, I will come back here.

Sep 16, 2014 8:45 AM

I will update this post as soon as I get any updates.

Meanwhile a new processor is probably on it's way and this one fased out.

looks like the rebranding from Atom to Celeron did not change very much.

But not a nice job to have, repeating yourself so much on behalf of the "Techs"

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I am still waiting for their feedback. I will update this issue as soon I get anything from them.

Allan.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Audio support for Dobly TrueHD* and DTS-HD MA* is not supported on Intel BayTrail Processors.

PAVP-Audio is a platform level content protection mechanism that is to be used for HBR's output.

There is no support for PAVP-Audio on Baytrail.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

According to engineering, they are currently working on new drivers that will address this matter.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

0 Kudos
FBrum
Beginner

@allan_intel: Any update on this matter?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I will update this forum thread as soon as I get any information from our engineering team.

Allan.

0 Kudos
Jx7
Beginner

The better Answer would be: I don't have an Answer from our engeneering team so far, but i will ask one more time

0 Kudos
SUsat
Beginner

Hello guys!

Encountered the same problem in x64, googled for solution and found this thread which is looks slightly pessimistic to me.

I think I have something to contribute to discussion.

In the Windows 8.1 x86 HD-audio is OK, I got DTS-HD Master audio passthrough in both Kodi 14.1 and PowerDVD 14. Motherboard Asus J1900I-C, video driver was installed by Intel driver updater (driver versions are the same for both x86 and x64, right?).

So I didn't expected to have this kind of problem for x64. It's just frustrating. It will be good to hear news about it.

BR, Sergey?

0 Kudos
SUsat
Beginner

When I wrote about the same versions for x86 and x64 it's just come to me I didn't updated driver for x64. So I run Intel driver update utility, it informed me about new driver available, 15.33.32.64.4061 from 08/01/2015, the same I installed for x86.

Voila! Problem solved! HD-audio bitstreaming is working in x64 as well!

My sincere graditude to Intel support. Now I'm happy owner of perfect (almost) video box.

BR, Sergey

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

SUBIN wrote:

Audio support for Dobly TrueHD* and DTS-HD MA* is not supported on Intel BayTrail Processors.

PAVP-Audio is a platform level content protection mechanism that is to be used for HBR's output.

There is no support for PAVP-Audio on Baytrail.

Only on Windows at the moment, run OpenELEC and TrueHD and DTS-HD work perfectly on BayTrail-D boards.

0 Kudos