Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14573 Discussions

My New Core i9 7940X Machine Gives Whea Uncorrectable Error

DSuma1
Beginner

Hi,

I recently purchased a high end PC with Core i9 7940X processor, Asus 1080 Ti GPU, X299-A Motherboard and 2x16GB ram. After instaling windows 10 and using for some time, I figured out that the machine is giving a blue screen error called "Whea Uncorrectable Error" all the time. I mostly get this error when I try to run a game or when I start Adobe Premiere Pro. It also comes when I encode a video. I tried updating windows, GPU drivers and BIOS. Also I tried resetting BIOS settings. None of these steps helped me solve the issue. Please let me know how can I troubleshoot and get my machine working without any issue.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
BJord1
Beginner

Hi,

I am having similar issues.

I already replaced the Ram since I thought it is the cause for it unfortunately I still have WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR every other day.

My Setup:

CPU: Intel Core i9 7940X @ 3.10GHz

Mainboard: Asus WS X299 SAGE (LGA 2066 R4)

RAM: Corsair 128GB DDR4 CMD128GX4M8B3000C16

GPUS (no SLI):

1x 3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (MSI)

3x 3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti (EVGA)

SSD: Samsung M.2 SSD 970 PRO

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 80+

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

This our recommended troubleshooting steps to do to fix BSOD errors:

1. Check BSOD / Blue screen error message on Microsoft's web site for possible solution (e.g. installing latest patch).
    1. A more global Google search for the error might also produce a solution.
  2. Uninstall / change incompatible components.
  3. Undo recent changes:
    1. If a setting was changed in BIOS, undo it.
    2. If a new software app was installed, uninstall it.
  4. Update BIOS.
  5. If the BSOD happens after Windows boots up, try the following:
    1. Uninstall / re-install the software that triggers the BSOD / Blue screen error message.
    2. Update hardware drivers.
  6. If the BSOD happens before Windows boots up, try the following:
    1. Reformat / re-install Windows.
    2. Use basic components.
  7. Test another processor on the system and check if Blue Screen is resolved or test the processor on another compatible motherboard.
  8. If the other processor did not cause a Blue Screen or if the processor was producing BSOD error on another board, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Intel Support
  9. If you already https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contacted Intel Support, please contact your computer manufacturer for more assistance.

Amy C

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
NFurn
Beginner

Useless.

I've done the impossible to get out of this trouble. I've changed all the parts, and the error remains. Probably it's a bug due to the voltage settings of the cores. Asus, Microsoft and Intel as well, can't find the fix.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I understand, but since you already replaced the processor this rules an issue with the processor. Our recommendation is to check with your computer manufacturer for more information.

Amy C

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
NFurn
Beginner

It's strage because other 7940x users have the same problem. Searching on google and other web sites, this issue is fixed by setting manually the voltage of the cores. Now I've done this mod and I'm waiting for the BSOD. I've tried different hardware configurations but the crash remains, so I can say that the problem is not related to MB, RAM, SSD, GPU and Power supply but something connected to how the MB and CPU work.

0 Kudos
AEins1
Beginner

For me it worked fine after setting the cpu and cache voltages to adaptive and also raising the boost voltage aditionally. With this i could even oc quite a bit wile still being all stable. Alternatively you might also be able to just use win8 if youre ok with that, all worked fine for me there without any adjustments. Hope I was able to help someone with this.

0 Kudos