Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14552 Discussions

Possible i9 14900k issues Whea errors

Seanuk
New Contributor I

So i have a system that lately developed a issue where the screen will go black and all fans hit 100%. Upon hours of reading to try and get to the source of the problem i found that in even viewer it was showing the following error WHEA-Logger 16 and sometimes 17 which i read up and it relates to chipset/gpu which i have a 4090 running with a 1000watt gold rated psu. It can work in games for hours. Decided to run cinebench with my settings set to xmp on at 7200mhz and Intel MCE Set to remove all limits cinebench r23 completed fine. Then tried cinebench 15 and got whea errors in hwinfo. So upon more reading i decided to try and apply power limits of 253watt as advised online to the cpu and then it completed a cinebench 15 test succesfully. Then tried a stress test with Intel Xtu running Avx2 and it runs fr about 1-2minutes then same issue occurs black screen and fans at 100% total system crash. Other online have advised could be signs of a faulty cpu? could anyone give me any guidance please?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JayB_Intel

Hello Seanuk,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support

Please let me gather the following details in order for us to further understand the situation. Also, feel free to include additional information you may find relevant that can help us diagnose and identify the issue.

1. Have you tried installing another compatible CPU to your motherboard for hardware isolation?
  2. Were there signs of overheating?
  3. Did you overclock the processor? Please note that if the system was overclocked, including voltage/frequency beyond the processor supported specifications, your processor voids warranty.
  4. Make and model of the motherboard(s) used with the processor
  5. Make and model of the Random Access Memory (RAM)

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
JayB_Intel

Hello Seanuk,

Were you able to check the previous post? Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
Seanuk
New Contributor I
Hi jay! Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for the late reply I have tried it on all stock settings with MCE SEt to enforce all limits and I have tried with xmp enabled also disabled. The ram I have is on the motherboard qvl it is gskill 7200mhz I am still unable to get to the bottom of the reason I have done a lot of reading and on other forums it’s suggest I could have a faulty cpu?
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Seanuk,

Thank you for replying back to us. I want to further diagnose your CPU due to the error that you have been receiving. To be more familiar with your configuration, kindly please send us your SSU logs. You may download it at this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html. Additionally, can you please tell us more about the cooling system that you are using as we want to further check if there are overheating. Are there also specific triggers/games affected before the screen goes black or does it occur randomly? Also, when the screen goes black, is the audio of your system still playing or does it also stops too?  You may also send us the logs of your event viewer so we can further check this errors.

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Seanuk
New Contributor I

so basically last night i had everything running default mce-set to disabled enforce all limits and no black screens let the computer idle on desktop for 2hours. Then this morning powered on computer went downstairs came back to computer ten minutes later and black scree again no sound also. I have attached logs for you thanks. 

0 Kudos
Seanuk
New Contributor I

also using a 360aio cooling system. System temps seem to be fine i dont think its a overheating issue

0 Kudos
Seanuk
New Contributor I
Found the device in the device manager that is giving me the issue I have added a picture of the device it also states that the driver date is 18/07/1968 which sounds absurd to me. I have also changed my pci gen to 4.0 in my bios as I was advised on another forum to try that still experiencing issues
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Seanuk,

Thank you for the reply.

Can you also share the screenshot of that device in the Device Manager. please screenshots it's properties for to check if there are errors and also the driver tab.

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Seanuk
New Contributor I
Checked that Mike says working I’ve set all power limits on my psu as advised in the intel specs sheet and it still happens I’m unsure now as to weather it is a gpu or psu error it’s so temperamental can work for two hours and then goes off
0 Kudos
RobertCR
Beginner

Hey brother, I think many of us are having performance and weird crashes problems with the 13th and 14th i9s.

I had a crash on Cities Skylines 2 after 5 minutes into playing, every time it crashed generated this "WHEA" error. After some days of extensive research I found that it has to do with some undervolting/overvolting problem.

Check this out: Optimizing Stability for Intel 13900k and 14900k CPU’s : r/overclocking (reddit.com)

I completely fixed my problem by setting up the voltages as per page 98 here 13th Generation Intel® Core™ and Intel® Core™ 14th Generation Processors Datasheet, Volume 1 of 2

The root cause of this is the BIOS default settings on the motherboards... BIOS defaults/autos to a bad voltage range.

Update your BIOS, try these settings and test

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Seanuk, 

How are you doing? I noticed one of our community members suggested a troubleshooting for you. How did it go? I understand that you have some confusion. if you were to try the recommendation of one of our community members, kindly please let us know so we can further help you. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Seanuk,

I hope everything is working well in your system. I noticed one of our community members also suggested some troubleshooting steps for you as well. As we have not heard a response from you, we will proceed in closing this case. If you need any additional information or troubleshooting, please do not hesitate to create a new post and we will be there to assist you. 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
Seanuk
New Contributor I
I set all my power limits to intels guidelines and svid behaviour to typical scenario all seems to be fine now thanks
0 Kudos
Seanuk
New Contributor I
Hi guys so my error has come back after weeks I am really stumped I have sent the motherboard back to supplier they tested that and power supply and found no faults and I have tested my gpu in a friends system and appears to be fine it can go off and issue a kernel error 41 but then power back on and work for hours could it be cpu related as stated I am running the cpu at intel reccomendated settings as per the i9 14999k spec power limits etc and MCE turned off
0 Kudos