Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14575 Discussions

Question about Windows power mode and CPU package power with notebook

Chiliz
Beginner

I have 2 laptops on my hand and found out the CPU package power behavior was different in Windows power mode.

One is the I7-13700H switch to power efficiency, the CPU power will be locked at 50W, however, when I use the Core Ultra 7 155H one, the  CPU power doesn't lock. 

After I go to BIOS settings, When I turn off the Intel speed shift with the I7-13700H CPU one, the CPU power does not lock at 50W at power efficiency mode.  

So, why are CPU's power behavior different when both  Intel speed shifts have been enabled in power efficiency and how the windows power mode work? 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Chiliz
Beginner

Well, this is confusing for me, hope I can get an answer...

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Chiliz, 

Thank you for posting in the communities and Thank you for waiting on our reply. To answer your question, we need some more details from you. Can you please let us know of the model of the 2 laptops that you have? You may also send the SSU logs of both laptops so we can be more familiar with your system. You may use this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
pppesss
Beginner

Oh my! This is truly an anxiety-inducing issue.

I've recently encountered the same problem when using both MSI and ASUS laptops. It's incredibly frustrating that some computers work fine, but the ones with the 13900H and 13800H processors exhibit anomalies. They are limited to running at only 50W power, significantly impacting the performance of these laptops.

I hope a solution can be found soon! Thank you!

0 Kudos
pppesss
Beginner

I'm back again.

I am urgently seeking help and am curious and interested in this phenomenon.

The information provided yesterday seems incomplete. I want to inform you that I am using two different laptops: an MSI Titan GT77HX 13VI with an i9-13980HX processor, and an ASUS Zephyrus M16 with an i9-13900H processor.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hi Chiliz,

How are you doing? I am just following up for the SSU logs of both the systems so we can further investigate this for you. Feel free to post it here.

As for pppesss, we want to give you the full focus of our support. Kindly please create a new thread with the SSU logs attached so we can take a look at your MSI and ASUS laptops that is exhibiting the same problem. This will help us gain visibility on this issue and identify how many users are affected while also avoiding taking over the thread from the original user.  

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Chiliz
Beginner

Hi, Ramyer M: 

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm using MSI pulse 15 A13VGK & MSI stealth 16 (core ultra one).

The information that you require is attached, thanks!  

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Chiliz, 

Thank you for sharing this details. I will be coordinating this with our team for now and keep this thread posted for updates. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Chiliz
Beginner

Thanks for the help, will keep looking for any information update.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Chiliz,

Thank you for patiently waiting. We want to let you know that Intel® Speed Shift Technology is an energy efficient method of frequency control by the hardware rather than relying on OS control. OS is aware of available hardware P-states and requests the desired P-state or it can let the hardware determine the P-state. The OS request is based on its workload requirements and awareness of processor capabilities. Processor decision is based on the different system constraints for example Workload demand, thermal limits while taking into consideration the minimum and maximum levels and activity window of performance requested by the Operating System. You may check this link for reference of this information: https://edc.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/ipla/software-development-platforms/client/platforms/alder-lake-desktop/12th-generation-intel-core-processors-datasheet-volume-1-of-2/002/intel-speed-shift-technology/

Additionally, the CPU package power behavior in Windows power mode depends on several factors, such as the processor model, the BIOS settings, the power plan, and the OEM software. Different processors may have different power limits and states, which can affect how they respond to the Windows power mode settings. Since you are using both OEM laptops and it is also dependent on the OEM software, it is best to reach out to your Original Equipment Manufacture for clarifications about this behavior as they might have done specific configurations and customizations in the system that we are not familiar of. You may reach out to them using this link: 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Chiliz
Beginner

Thanks for the reply, and I know what  Intel® Speed Shift Technology does because it can easily search on the internet.

I contacted the support of the laptop manufacturer, and they said the behavior is Windows and Intel-related, better ask Intel since the power mode behavior is different from the Intel CPU platform.  

I just thought that was ridiculous, 

CPU manufacturers and also laptop manufacturers don't know anything about Windows power mode and they release a windows system base product. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Chiliz

Your curiosity about your system is commendable, and we're glad to see your eagerness to learn more. Our Engineering and Management teams have reviewed your case and would like to guide you toward the most informative resource. Each laptop is crafted with distinct design specifications, and to gain a deeper understanding of these intricacies, we recommend reaching out to your system manufacturer. As the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), they hold the most detailed knowledge about their products' unique features.

While this may not be the immediate answer you were hoping for, it is the most assured way to obtain accurate and specific information regarding your concern.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or need additional clarification. We're here to assist you and value your understanding. Thank you.

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos