Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14573 Discussions

Turbo Boost Not Enabled

idata
Employee

In the past, when I run the Turbo Boost Technology Monitor, it works fine. But just recently, performance on games has been extremely slow, so I checked it again. When I opened the monitor, it said "Turn on turbo boost technology, Intel turbo boost has to be enable to run this program".

I looked up multiple forums and etc but I couldn't find a way to enable it. I've also installed HWiNDO and after the test it said Turbo Boost Technology - Supported, Disabled. I'm on a laptop and there's nothing to enable in the BIOS. I've tried overcloaking with MSI Afterburner too, but that didn't work either. How can I re enable turbo boost?

Oh, and I'm plugged in, and power plan is on High Performance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

I would suggest running the Intel® Processor Identification Utility to determine if the processor is being properly recognized by the system.

You can download the Intel® Processor Identification Utility at:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/ http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/

When running this tool, make sure that it reports the Intel Turbo Boots technology as available.

Also install the latest BIOS version for your laptop system, and check with them if there is an option on their BIOS to enable or disable the Intel Turbo Boots technology.

If the issue continues, let me know the processor model number on your laptop?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure which part of the Intel Processor Identification Utility do I look at for the report that says Intel Turbo Boots technology as available or not. My processor is a Intel Core i7-2670QM.

Edit: Under CPU Technologies, I can't find Intel Turbo Boost Technology.

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Please provide me the log file generated by the Intel® Processor Identification Utility to I can check it for you.

You can copy/paste the reports on the forum so I can read it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility

Version: 4.50.20120413

Time Stamp: 2012/08/25 02:12:20

Operating System: 6.1-7601-Service Pack 1

Number of processors in system: 1

Current processor: # 1

Active cores per processor: 4

Disabled cores per processor: 0

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz

Type: 0

Family: 6

Model: 2A

Stepping: 7

Revision: 1A

Maximum CPUID Level: D

L1 Instruction Cache: 4 x 32 KB

L1 Data Cache: 4 x 32 KB

L2 Cache: 4 x 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Packaging: µPGA/BGA

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology: Yes

MMX(TM): Yes

Intel(R) SSE: Yes

Intel(R) SSE2: Yes

Intel(R) SSE3: Yes

Intel(R) SSE4: Yes

Intel(R) AES-NI: Yes

Intel(R) AVX: Yes

Enhanced Halt State: Yes

Execute Disable Bit: Yes

Intel(R) Hyper-Threading Technology: Yes

Intel(R) 64 Architecture: Yes

Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: Yes

Intel(R) VT-x with Extended Page Tables: Yes

System Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Expected Processor Frequency: 2.20 GHz

Reported Processor Frequency: 2.20 GHz

Expected System Bus Frequency: 100 MHz

Reported System Bus Frequency: 100 MHz

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

I double checked, and the Intel® Processor Identification Utility does not report that feature, so in this case since you have a laptop system, you will need to contact the laptop manufacturer to see if they can tell you the reason that the feature is being reported as disabled.

You can guide them to this website to let them know that the processor actually supports the feature:

http://ark.intel.com/products/53469/Intel-Core-i7-2670QM-Processor-(6M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz) http://ark.intel.com/products/53469/Intel-Core-i7-2670QM-Processor-(6M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz)

As a suggestion try installing the latest BIOS version for your laptop if available, however you will need to contact them in order for them to help you updating the BIOS.

0 Kudos