Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Arria V to Stratix V Migration

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm narrowing down which FPGA family I will use for a new design. I think i will probably go with Arria V. A colleague of mine mentioned that in a previous company they were able to choose an Arria V device that was pin-to-pin compatible with Stratix V allowing for migration down the line. That's something I would like to leave the option open for but I can't seem to find any Altera documentation that addresses this. I'm interested to know if anyone else has been able to migrate from Arria V to Stratix V in an application without re-spinning their boards and what the considerations are when choosing a part to accommodate that. If someone could point me to any app notes or Altera docs that discuss this topic it would be even better. The only documentation I've come across so far addresses migration to larger density variations within the same family only. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Usually you can get pin compatible devices inside a family, but not across families.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Agree with Tricky, as I understand it, migration is only supported within a device family across different densities and packages. You can double check on the supported device for migration by checking the vertical migration in Quartus II.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, there is no cross family migration support between Arria V and Stratix V. You can find the migration devices from Quartus II device list. 

You may refer to the link below to understand more about the vertical migration in Altera devices.  

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd11232012_758.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe due to the difference in supported blocks between device families, the vertical migration is not supported across device families. Even within the same device families, generally only migration within same package pin count is supported.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just to add that you can also use the vertical migration tool in the Quartus II to help verifying the supported devices for migration from your base device.

0 Kudos