Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

E-Tile Ethernet Hard IP MAC address

TheEngineer7
Beginner

Dear All,

I am trying to understand the Hard MACs in Stratix 10 E-tiles for later integration into my project.

What I fail to understand so far is where to set a unified MAC address for the MAC HIP used in my ethernet application. 

There are several address parameters you can set. For example you can set on which address should this port recognize PAUSE frames, or what address to attach to PAUSE frames sent from this port. There is also the option to attach a source address to sent frames.

But what about the MAC address this port uses for receiving multicast/broadcast frames ? Why not have one "centralized" MAC address that is recognized as the MAC address of this port for every type and direction of frames (sent, received, PAUSE, data) ?

Been trying to figure this out for a couple of hours now, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
TheEngineer7
Beginner

I have reached the conclusion that the ethernet port (Hard IP) forwards all the frames it receives to the user logic. It doesn't have the capacity to drop packets itself, the user has to deal with it on their side.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TheEngineer7
Beginner

I have reached the conclusion that the ethernet port (Hard IP) forwards all the frames it receives to the user logic. It doesn't have the capacity to drop packets itself, the user has to deal with it on their side.

0 Kudos