Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

GXB 0 PPM core clock setting witn coreclck

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i don't arrive to used "GXB 0 PPM core clock setting" in assignement editor. 

I want to used only one clock to write in the TxFiFO, and to read the RxFIFO. 

I always have the same error: 

Error (167028): Input port CORECLK of GXB Receiver channel PCS "MyGx_I_corelclk:inst26|MyGx_I_corelclk_alt4gxb:MyGx_I_corelclk_alt4gxb_component|receive_pcs0"  

must be fed by output port CLOCK_OUT of GXB Receiver channel PCS "MyGx_I_corelclk:inst26|MyGx_I_corelclk_alt4gxb:MyGx_I_corelclk_alt4gxb_component|receive_pcs0"  

because the GXB receiver is not rate-match FIFO enabled or receiver is operating at a dissimilar data rate to the transmitters or receiver can be dynamically reconfigured. 

I don't want to use tx_clkout and rx_clkout to clock tx_datain 

[*] and rx_dataout 

[*] like in 

Stratix IV Device Handbook 

Volume 2: Transceivers 

Figure 2–37. Sixteen Identical Channels Across Four Transceiver Blocks for Example 8 

on page 2.69 

thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As I understand it, if you do not connect the rx_clkout to the coreclkin pin, Quartus II would flag critical warning instead of error. Just wonder if you have connected any clock ie from a PLL to the coreclkin pins?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's ok, if I connect tx_clkout to tx_coreclk, no errors from quartus. 

but i want to connect the same clock (Clk200M) who drive the pll_inclk pin to the tx_coreclk pin. this clock as the same frequency that the "tx_clkout",  

and it seam possible to drive tx_corelck with this clock (clk200M). 

if this schem work, I will make the same connexions for rx_corelck, and for all the others channel.  

This schem will allows me to drive all the signals of the GXB with the same clock, without the need 

to change clock domains from tx(rx)_ clkout to clk200M. 

Here is an image of my design.https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10923  

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

As long as you can ensure that there is 0ppm between your clk200M with the tx/rx_clkout, there should be no issue. The 0ppm warning is to alert user to double check on this to avoid the phase comp FIFO over/under flow.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your response, 

I'am sure that there is 0 ppm phase relation between the clocks. 

but it's not a warning when Quartus compile the design, it's a FATAL ERROR 

and i Am blocked at this point.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is the fatal error message? Do you have a chance to try with the latest Quartus II 15.0 to see if error still exist?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks 

this error is: 

"Error (167028): Input port CORECLK of GXB Transmitter channel PCS "MyGx_I_corelclk:inst9|MyGx_I_corelclk_alt4gxb:MyGx_I_corelclk_alt4gxb_component|transmit_pcs0" must be fed by output port CLOCK_OUT of GXB Transmitter channel PCS "MyGx_I_corelclk:inst9|MyGx_I_corelclk_alt4gxb:MyGx_I_corelclk_alt4gxb_component|transmit_pcs0" because the GXB transmitters have the same clock rate or are operating in bonded x4/x8 mode 

We don't want to use Quartus II 15.0 for the moment (cause compatibility between developpers on differents platforms) 

Is there a solution to parametrize this assignement "GXB 0 PPM core clock setting " with quartus II 13.0?????
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This might be related to restriction of using non tx_clkout to connect to coreclkin when using bonded mode. Probably you can double check to use non bonded x4 to see if can pass Fitter. If can pass Fitter, then it should relate to bonded mode restriction.

0 Kudos