Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20713 Discussions

Remote update for Cyclone 10GX

fpgaSoft
Beginner

I am writing a bootloader programme using the Intel Remote update IP on a cyclone 10GX.
The Remote update block is part of a NIOS II system and is setup using platform designer.
The factory image is based at 0x20 in flash
The application image is at 0x01001000 in flash

From the factory I can successfully start the application image - all seems ok
The application image will be stopped and the factory image restarted if there is a problem (e.g no WDT kicking), this also seems to work ok too. I can read back why the factory image has been restarted.

However when in the application image there appears to be no way of telling that the application image is the image running. ie the RU_CONFIGURATION_MODE is 0 not 1 as I expect.
This was set to 1, in the factory image, prior to starting the application image - using Altera's function "altera_remote_update_trigger_reconfig"

I am correct in a saying that this register should be 1, to show the application image is being run?
The user guide seems to suggest this is the case.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

"However, when in the application image there appears to be no way of telling that the application image is the image running. ie the RU_CONFIGURATION_MODE is 0 not 1 as I expect.

This was set to 1, in the factory image, prior to starting the application image - using Altera's function "altera_remote_update_trigger_reconfig""

-When starting the application image, set the RU_CONFIGURATION_MODE to 1 in the application page. Factory image is 0.

You may refer to the Remote Update IP userguide below page 15.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683695/19-4-19-1-0/remote-update-intel-fpga-ip-user-guide.html

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Any further information needed for this case?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
fpgaSoft
Beginner

Hi,

sorry for the delay.

When I am in the factory image and I want to start the application image I call:

altera_remote_update_trigger_reconfig (DEVICE, 1, 0x1001000, 0x00);

Where:

DEVICE is the Remote update IP block

1 is for applicaiton page

0x1001000 is the address application image in flash

0x00 is watchdog value.

That function does set the RU_CONFIGURATION_MODE register to 1 before starting the application image.

This should mean that when the application image is running, when the RU_CONFIGURATION_MODE is read, it should be read back as 1?

This is certainly what seems to be suggested from the link you sent, yet it still doesn't work,  it appears to be always set to 0.

It appears to be getting reset to 0 even though the correct application is being run.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Does the FPGA is getting program? Does the application image take effect or not? Example: if you are using LED, does the LED blinking?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
fpgaSoft
Beginner

Hi Aiman,

the application image runs absolutely fine.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Apologize for the delay in response. I am currently checking the behavior of the remote update with our internal team. I will provide you the feedback by next week.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Checking some information here, do you refer to any design example?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
fpgaSoft
Beginner

Hi,

I looked at some examples on the Intel design store, including this one :

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design-example/714976/intel-cyclone-10-gx-fpga-remote-system-update-design-example.html

I haven't been back to experiment with this design again

Best regards

0 Kudos