Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20713 Discussions

not able to ping fragmented data

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, 

In our project we are using one device with Triple Speed Ethernet IP (10/100/1000 ethernet MAC with 1000base-x/SGMII PCS) at the source side and using another device with Triple Seed Ethernet IP at the destination side system. 

i.e mysetup looks like this  

PC1 ----> MAC 1 ---> FIFO ----> MAC2 ----> PC2 

Frame length i set was 1518 

with a data less than the MTU size am able to ping without loss, (ex: ping 192.168.0.112 -l 1470) ---- working  

but with data size more than MTU ie with fragmented data am getting request time out while pinging.  

(1) while pinging from PC1 to PC2 with more data size ex : ping 192.168.0.112 -l 5500 

while observing wireshark on PC1 am seeing fragmented frames, but on PC2 side only last frame is coming 

(2) while pinging from PC2 to PC1 with more data size ex : ping 192.168.0.113 -l 5500 

while observing wireshark on PC2 am seeing fragmented frames, and on PC1 also seeing fragmented frames and replaying frames also seeing, but on PC2 side that only last PC1 replayed frame is observing 

what might be the reason. 

Thanks , 

Santhosh
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the same test i made in the two Linux PCs with ping data size of 65500, the ping was happened fine, only problem i facing in the windows PCs.  

This also i tested one side windows and other side Linux PC at that tiem also Ping with a data size of 65500 happened fine. 

is there any PC setting issue or any configuration i need to made. 

Thanks, 

Santhosh
0 Kudos