Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Future direction of the XDK

xdk_d_
Beginner

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered before, but I could not find it. Is the future of the XDK for the use of building apps for the store still a major focus for Intel, now and in the future? I ask because based on the traffic on the forums, the future seems bleak for what I am hoping to do. I didnt to a ton of research, but it seems that the number of actual Intel employees responding to forum posts is dwindeling. Can anyone confirm this? What happened to everyone else that was helping users? I just want to know what I am getting myself into should I select the Intel XDK as a platform for development.

Any and all advice would be greatly welcomed before taking a dive into the XDK.

0 Kudos
44 Replies
Nguyen_Van_T_
Beginner

I have used Intel XDK in teaching my undergraduate & master students during last two years for my subject "IoT programming", but now Intel no longer support App Preview, so sad to hear this news. I used Intel XDK to build UI for the mobile app with JavaScript and HTML & CSS, jQuery for getJSON & POST, WebAPI in Visual Studio for GET & POST data from/to IoT device, SQL Server for saving data.

0 Kudos
John_L_11
Beginner

Nguyen, there is a great tool we switched to that works beautifully. NSBasic/AppStudio. It's an excellent alternative we found and have had great success with it. Rock solid and support is great. Take a look.

http://nsbasic.com

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Ronaldo_M_
Beginner

All the errors caused by version 3983 (which would have been fixed in 3987) continue to occur, NOTHING can be read from external sources ... I would no longer use XDK because I had already realized that Intel made us lose time in using it when they started to remove everything and only one bad code editor left. But I had to update an application I had done in XDK and found it was worse than the last time I read dozens of documents, tested all suggested settings / combinations on dozens of sites / forums / blogs ... I tried config.xml manually (trying to get around this fault) and nothing ... after four days lost (not counting those months trying to use it after accepting the proposal sent several times by Intel talking about the "great" XDK) I gave up. Intel's business is the same hardware, it abandons the rest, after that crap with XDK you can not trust anymore. Neither the old (nor the latter) version is available anymore to try to at least let running application until rewriting it in java.

0 Kudos