Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7449 Discussions

Asus UX305, Intel dual band wireless-AC 7265: "Limited Connection"

RLah
Novice

I have seen other posts relating somewhat to this same "Limited Connection" at public wifi hotspots.

I received a new Asus Zenbook UX305FA-USM1 unit on June 9 and the home WiFi setup had no problem whatsoever. But the next day, went to major chain bookstore/coffeehouse to use their hotspot wifi and only got "limited connection", i.e. NO Internet. I have had no problems using my Acer C720 Chromebook in the same hotspot location... neither do any of my other Android devices have any problems. But this Asus Zenbook cannot connect... very perplexing.

I have tried updating with Intel's driver and went back to the store, but the problem remained. There is a Best Buy store adjoining the bookstore and even its public wifi gave "limited connection". -- But I will say that did get a working Internet connection at 2 major hardware chain stores and a major hotel. The big hamburger chain was spotty but seemed to work when I got a strong signal inside the building.

So, Intel, what do you say about your AC 7265 unit? Anything? Do I rollback to original ASUS driver... which did not work in the first place, at least I don't recall updating the driver before my first attempt at the bookstore.

I should mention that I have already made the changes mentioned in /message/283535http: this post and will go back a third time to the bookstore tomorrow to test it... is this worth the try?

Please help! I don't want to return this unit just because only some of my favorite hotspots don't work.

59 Replies
WBurn1
Novice

I am soon to be trying the following:

Killer Wireless AC 1535

8260NGW

Broadcom BCM94352Z

0 Kudos
WBurn1
Novice

I agree, doesn't work.

AMull3
Beginner

Hi,

I was getting nowhere with the above. Downloaded 18.21.0.2 driver, tried all the advanced settings changes but still got "cannot connect to this network" and "limited connection" on my other router.

I then completely uninstalled the drivers for the AC 7265 and re-installed the 18.21.0.2 driver. It now seems to be happy connecting to all of them.

Just thought I'd share because other than this wireless hiccup I've loved the ux305 so far and hope you can all start to love it again as well!

Hope it helps.

Asus ux305

Windows 10

AC 7265 with 18.21.0.2 Driver

PSecr
Beginner

I also have asus ux305 and my wifi disappeared after Windows update. I was trying all possible solutions - nothing worked. I even invited a tech service, they could not do anything and advised to get my laptop for deep inspection with their or other service company. After that I used wifi usb utility and got infected with strange virus - http://nabzsoftware.com/types-of-threats/vvv-file http://nabzsoftware.com/types-of-threats/vvv-file Now in addition to bad wifi - all my files encrypted. New computer is garbage

0 Kudos
RvanE1
Beginner

*** SOLVED ***. The problem is not the driver nor the accss point (in my case). I replicated the problem with both the v18.21.0.2 and the latest version. The problem is Windows 10 not passing the requests for an IP address to the router. The reason is that the WiFi network adapter is usually bridged. A limited connection means - in my case - I am connected but I have no IP address to communicate with the network. To solve this do the follwoing:

(1) go to Network Centre (via Search|Network Centre, or via Configuration Settings|Network and Internet.

(2) go to 'change adapter settings', you should see WiFi (connected with bridge), and Ethernet x (Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor).

(3) open with right-mouse click the properties of the Ethernet x adapter

(4) enable (a) Client for Microsoft networks, (b) File and Printer sharing for Microsoft networks, (c) Internet Protocol v4, and (d) Internet Protocol v6. Hit to save the settins.

You should now have full connection to the WiFi network.

Cheers,

Rob

0 Kudos
EFlic
Beginner

rvaneijk wrote:

*** SOLVED ***. The problem is not the driver nor the accss point (in my case). I replicated the problem with both the v18.21.0.2 and the latest version. The problem is Windows 10 not passing the requests for an IP address to the router. The reason is that the WiFi network adapter is usually bridged. A limited connection means - in my case - I am connected but I have no IP address to communicate with the network. To solve this do the follwoing:

(1) go to Network Centre (via Search|Network Centre, or via Configuration Settings|Network and Internet.

(2) go to 'change adapter settings', you should see WiFi (connected with bridge), and Ethernet x (Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor).

(3) open with right-mouse click the properties of the Ethernet x adapter

(4) enable (a) Client for Microsoft networks, (b) File and Printer sharing for Microsoft networks, (c) Internet Protocol v4, and (d) Internet Protocol v6. Hit to save the settins.

You should now have full connection to the WiFi network.

Cheers,

Rob

This made my wifi connection better. I'm not getting the dropouts that I had before and I don't have it saying "limited" anymore. Most of everything in the Adapter properties were enabled by default on my laptop. I just made sure that the only things enabled were the ones rvaneijk mentioned. The wifi is still not as strong as the one on my almost seven year old laptop, which is disappointing.

Info: I have a UX305FA running Windows 10 which I received on Christmas and it has an Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 version 18.20.0.9.

MKoso
Beginner

My Asus UX305CA has significant WIFI problems as reported above. Tried all of the Intel suggestions with little improvement. Intel has a responsibility to correct these faults and has not yet released a driver to address them. With a company of it's size and all of the money I have spent on their products over the many years there is no excuse for this inaction. Intel, step up to your responsibility and fix this problem!

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello,

In previous posts you can find different actions that have worked for other users.

If your system is still having connectivity issue after applying these actions, we advise you to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support and engage your nearest support center for additional troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
MKoso
Beginner

What has stabilized my situation is the following: Driver version 18.30.0.9, and using the non AC (b,g,n) wifi mode as selected on my router (Linksys WRT1900AC) All default options. This driver and lower bandwidth has allowed extended wifi sessions without the frequent drop-outs experienced earlier. HOWEVER, this is not the state of the art bandwidth/speed I have paid for with these components. This performance is no better than 10 years ago technology. Intel still needs to pursue these performance issues and resolve.

0 Kudos
MKoso
Beginner

Received email from Jonathan_Intel and replied but message rejected by your server for some reason...text of message:

The reported problem/manifestation is simple. The Asus UX305CA internal wifi adapter (Intel AC7265) regularly disconnects on the AC mode. Changing to b,g,n and using driver 18.30.0.9 improves the drop-outs (but does not cure them). With this "fix" my reported speeds are from 2-50mbps (mostly 2mbps and variable with 50mbps the cable max speed) using the standard http://www.speedtest.net/ www.speedtest.net. I have 5 other laptops and 5 desktops (Dell, Apple Macbook Pro, Asus 1225, etc.) and ALL of them have ABSOLUTELY NO problems whatsoever from the same exact operating positions (about max 25 feet from the wifi router). I can only conclude there is a software/hardware problem with the Intel wifi adapter. PLEASE, do not ask me to change/modify/adjust the routers parameters...there is nothing wrong with my other 10 computer/laptops wifi connections except this Asus UX305CA.

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello anham,

Please check you private messages, so we can get some additional information.

0 Kudos
WBurn1
Novice

Update:

Killer Wireless AC 1535 - Awesome adapter, works very well with strong throughput at range and no dropouts. (does not support channel 12,13)

8260NGW - Have not tried yet.

Broadcom BCM94352Z - Tried, not that impressed, worked ok, did not drop out, better impressed by the Killer 1535. (Did not support channel 12, 13)

WBurn1
Novice

Fully uninstall Intel Wireless drivers, purchase a Killer Wireless AC 1535 of ebay, and install the Killer suite drivers. Never look back. Solved my problem completely, even the newer 8260 does it!

jlawr3
Novice

How many more weeks/months have to pass before you guys come up with a viable solution for this garbage wireless adapter? Many of us bought machines without ethernet based on the advertised reliability of your dual band wireless adapters. I can't speak for everyone here but i personally spent a small fortune on my ultrabook and this has been the biggest disappointment.

I read review after review before purchasing and all that anyone talked about was intels skylake processor which makes me wonder if intel and pc manufactures pay these guys. How could they not have experienced these connection issues?

If you think I'm going to attach a USB WiFi dongle/extender/adapter/tether/duct taped coat hanger to this thing your stuck in 1998. You wouldn't put a cassette player in a tesla would you?

The amount of threads on various support forums including intels regarding this issue is staggering. I thought i was inconvenienced, schools, businesses etc bought dozens if not hundreds of machines with this adapter installed and the best advice you can give these institutional clients is uninstall/reinstall? That's like my company's IT guy asking if i restarted my desktop when tell him it's taking too long to boot!? If you can't adequately service these institutions what chance do individuals like myself have at recurving an immediate fix!?

I'm over it. HPs, Asuss(Asuss', Asus'ss...?), Lenovos and Intels support can go to "D-ell". You guys should seriously reconsider the word "support" in your job title. How in the hell is HPs warranty dept going to tell me they haven't heard of any issues relating to intels wireless adapter? I'm going to pull this adapter out like tom hanks pulled that cavity in cast away. And unless you want to me send me the 2015 ac-8260, 3165 or tri blend 17265 im going with your # 1 competitor. And when my new wireless adapter is finally clocking speeds that your bs product brief claims im going to screen shot it and copy/paste the crap out of it and let the world know the $20 piece of garbage you put in my ferrari ultrabook is just that!

And please for the love of God, do not reply with advanced adapter settings like change power sleep mode, fat channel intolerant, HT mode or your classic go-to...uAPSD. Unless you have a VIABLE SOLUTION don't say anything. I'll take that as "we sell bad products for a profit" and go about my business.

I feel better already

AFern8
Beginner

Hello, I have the same problem and these are my configuration:

ACCESS POINT:

Netgear AP WNDAP620_V2.0.8 (last vendor firmware)

Wireless Mode: 2,4 GHz 11bg and Channel / Frequency in Auto.

LAPTOPS:

HP Elitebook 840 G2 with Intel Dual Band AC 7265 onboard with the driver version 17.16.2.1 (The preferred driver HP)

WIndows 7 x64 Professional SP1

We have checked with the last driver of Intel and the problem is the same.

In AP we get the following logs:

Feb 18 11:44:53 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 5c:e0:c5:26:fa:70 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

Feb 18 11:44:53 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 5c:e0:c5:26:fa:70 IEEE 802.1X: authenticated - EAP type: 25 (PEAP) (PMKSA cache)

Feb 18 11:44:54 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 5c:e0:c5:26:fa:70 IEEE 802.11: disassociated

Feb 18 11:44:54 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 5c:e0:c5:26:fa:70 IEEE 802.11: associated

Feb 18 11:44:54 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 5c:e0:c5:26:fa:70 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

Feb 18 11:44:54 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 5c:e0:c5:26:fa:70 IEEE 802.1X: authenticated - EAP type: 25 (PEAP) (PMKSA cache)

Feb 18 11:44:54 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 08:ee:8b:70:e4:75 IEEE 802.1X: EAP timeout

Feb 18 11:44:54 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 08:ee:8b:70:e4:75 IEEE 802.1X: aborting authentication

Feb 18 11:44:55 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 5c:e0:c5:26:fa:70 IEEE 802.11: disassociated

Feb 18 11:44:55 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 5c:e0:c5:26:fa:70 IEEE 802.11: associated

Feb 18 11:44:55 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 5c:e0:c5:26:fa:70 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

Feb 18 11:44:55 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 5c:e0:c5:26:fa:70 IEEE 802.1X: authenticated - EAP type: 25 (PEAP) (PMKSA cache)

Feb 18 11:44:56 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 5c:e0:c5:26:fa:70 IEEE 802.11: disassociated

Feb 18 11:44:56 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 5c:e0:c5:26:fa:70 IEEE 802.11: associated

Feb 18 11:44:56 hostapd: wifi0vap1: STA 5c:e0:c5:26:fa:70 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

I read the link but I get the same problem.

Any idea?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Wde_B
Beginner

Since latest driver (18.40.09) all my problems of the Wifi with 5Ghz are gone.

htsam
Beginner

I have the same issue with my asus ux305 7265

intermittant connection on 802.11n

by switching HT mode to disable

and limiting connection to b only, g only, or bg.

i get 11Mbps, to 54Mbps

no other solution has worked to get 300Mbps on 802.11n

for now this is satisfactory for web and email browsing, and small downloads

but if i want 300Mbps for larger downloads, im afraid i will have to do without.

please intel, let us know when there will be a fix for this issue.

my modem router is a

tp-link TD-W8960N

0 Kudos
AMich19
Beginner

I'm using Thinkpad E450 but my wireless signal not stable, if I'm moving to another place in my room, just an instance to be a disconnect. Toko Bunga

0 Kudos