Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7455 Discussions

Intel dual band-ac 3160 Connection Problem

MRenn1
Beginner

Recently Purchased a Dell laptop that came with the Dual band-AC 3160, and it's getting super slow Download speed

When i look at the Wifi connection i have full signal and have 65Mbps but i have super slow internet still. I have 3 other laptops that have no issue over the Wireless network.

If i connect using a ethernet cable i have no issues what so ever.

Wireless Adapter

C:\Windows\system32>netsh wlan show drivers

Interface name: Wi-Fi

Driver : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Vendor : Intel Corporation

Provider : Intel

Date : 12/8/2014

Version : 17.13.11.5

INF file : C:\Windows\INF\oem195.inf

Files : 3 total

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\Netwbw02.sys

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\Netwfw02.dat

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vwifibus.sys

Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver

Radio types supported : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n 802.11a 802.11ac

FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes

802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : Yes

Hosted network supported : Yes

Authentication and cipher supported in infrastructure mode:

Open None

Open WEP-40bit

Open WEP-104bit

Open WEP

WPA-Enterprise TKIP

WPA-Enterprise CCMP

WPA-Personal TKIP

WPA-Personal CCMP

WPA2-Enterprise TKIP

WPA2-Enterprise CCMP

WPA2-Personal TKIP

WPA2-Personal CCMP

Open Vendor defined

Vendor defined Vendor defined

Authentication and cipher supported in ad-hoc mode:

Open None

Open WEP-40bit

Open WEP-104bit

Open WEP

WPA2-Personal CCMP

IHV service present : Yes

IHV adapter OUI : [00 80 86], type: [00]

IHV extensibility DLL path: C:\Windows\System32\IWMSSvc.dll

IHV UI extensibility ClSID: {1bf6cb2d-2ae0-4879-a7aa-a75834fbd0e3}

IHV diagnostics CLSID : {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

C:\Windows\system32>

I'm using a D-link 628 with Firmware of 1.25

Here are my System Information

I'm Really at a loss for why the wireless card is crapping out

48 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello,

Please make sure you are using the current driver recommended by the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html Computer Manufacturer, as second option you can https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25683/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-10 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows® 10, version 18.32.0 from our download center.

Since the adapter was working fine in other environments and you already tried various troubleshooting steps, there may be a situation specific to the wireless network you are trying to connect. For example, if the access point operates only in the 2.4 GHz band, try changing the Wireless channel in the router, or using the settings recommended in Dec 11, 2015.

For additional assistance, you may http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support and engage your nearest Intel support center.

0 Kudos
JYana1
Beginner

Once again, and yet again, everything that you and other Intel technicians have suggested simply does not work. The AC 3160 is patently a lemon, a dud. If Intel really wanted to do something about the problem it could be addressed with completely rewritten drivers, or, even better, a firmware upgrade. When a component manufacturer, Intel or any other company, releases, sells, markets et alia, a problematic adapter or other component device, it does not do any good whatsoever to keep repeating the same old, tired "fixes" which do not work. I have finally gotten my Lenovo Z51 to maintain the Internet connection, but not by tweaking anything that directly affects the malfunctioning AC 3160; I have resorted to an inexpensive Netgear USB WiFi antenna. I could have gotten a wireless router to place in the room closer to where I work with my laptop, but that would have been 3 to 5 times as expensive, and just is not currently practical. I shouldn't have had to buy anything extra, but until the major laptop manufacturers and Intel decide to do what they should have done 10-plus years ago, which is make laptop components interchangeable, just like memory DIMMs, drives, and batteries, such problems are going to unnecessarily cost end users.

My brother is a long-time network engineer and administrator, with CNE and many more certifications, having installed systems in naval facilities, including ships, all over the country, among many other things, and together we have been completely unable to "tweak" or otherwise fix the problem. The only solution has been that mentioned above, to completely bypass the AC 3160, using a USB-connected adapter. I realise that you are simply repeating the Intel "party line," which is to basically ignore the problem, but Intel division executives have got to start paying attention to their end-user customers, or somewhere down the road some still only conceptual startup is going to step in and offer better solutions. It has happened throughout history, first in the industrial sector, and then the technology arena. Witness the IBM dropped balls over the past 20 to 25 years; remember (or learn) how Xerox developed the first pre-PC computer but didn't know what to do with it, so even the slow moving stumblebumbs at IBM were able to figure that one out. AMD is merely the forerunner of some as yet unnamed technology firm which will step in and provide what Intel, and AMD itself, appear to be incapable of doing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi

I am having the same issue as the rest of the guys here. I can only connect to my Ubee router at 72.2mbps on the 2.4ghz channel. I have tweaked all the settings as recommended previously with no resolution. All other laptops and devices can connect at 144mbps.

I have a HP Notebook which is 2 months old and have updated all of the drivers and firmware which have not resolved the issue. If no fix is supplied soon I will be returning this Notebook.

0 Kudos
JYana1
Beginner

Well, Dotty, you are simply experiencing the same malfunctioning Intel AC 3160 adapter. I solved the problem for myself by buying a Netgear USB wireless WiFi adapter. Nothing else works other than boosting connectivity. I am in North Carolina visiting my brother and his wife, and within less than 15 minutes of turning on my four-month-old Lenovo, the AC 3160 had dropped the Internet connection. I was in the Philippine when I got the Lenovo, and it worked fine there. A couple of months later I flew to Dubai to spend time with my wife who is working there. It worked fine there. Not here! I have tried everything suggested and more (see my post of January 29th above). It simply does not work properly, even though Intel technicians insist that it does, and one must only get all of the settings right. Before taking your laptop back, you might want to try getting a USB adapter like I have, or another wireless router to put in the very room in which you work (if you are in fact not in the same room as the modem itself).

Computer manufacturers need to get their act together, and build laptops with motherboards that allow users to replace, swap out, or upgrade network adapters, video adapters, audio adapters, and all the rest, just like can be done for memory DIMS and hard drives/SSDs, and, needless to say, in desktops and towers! Until then faulty adapters, like the AC 3160, will cause a world of hurt for the end user. All the tweaks and "fixes" suggested here, and all over the Web, are of no avail. The Netgear USB adapter/antenna cost me $26.95, much less than if you have to pay extra for a laptop replacement, and even much less than you would have to pay for a network PCI adapter card for a desktop! I do not work for Netgear, so I have no ulterior motive for recommending this solution. Indeed, there are other brands of USB WiFi adapters, so...

Dotty, forget about find a fix for the AC 3160--there just ain't such an animal, unless Intel decides to provide all new drivers, or dramatically altered firmware for the AC 3160! Just get a USB WiFi adapter, or even better, a wireless router for the room you work in.

0 Kudos
MDege2
Beginner

Obviously Intel is aware of the problems, if they will finally solve the problems, I don't know.

I installed the latest drivers (18.32.0.5) and the problem that the adapter dropped the connection results now with this latest drivers in a BSOD

with an error on Netwbw02.sys. Is this a progress? Of coarse not. So I'm using an external USB WiFi adapter that gives no probems at all.

All vendors should take action towards Intel.

0 Kudos
FBord
Beginner

Hello, I just registered to post this message, and I hope someone at Intel is still reading this thread. I work in a very small hardware repair/reatail shop and today I brought a new pc, a Dell Vostro with windows 10 installed on it, to a friend. this Dell happens to have a AC3160 wifi adapter, as I discovered later.. all worked fine at the shop, windows updates and other pieces of software were downloaded through wifi with no problems at all. when connecting to my friend's (and now rather upset customer!) wifi network, issues started to appear. wifi connetion would be dropped at random (short) intervals. what is worse, when pc lost connection, ALL wifi network went down. after deactivating wifi adapter from within windows wireless connection would magically be restored on other clients (one pc and a smartphone). changing position relatively to router did not seem to mae any difference. So I fired up my trusty Lenovo E50 (running windows 7), only to discover the very same issue. I never had wifi connection problems with it; but now it was behaving the same as the Dell: losing wifi connection after a couples of minutes, and causing other wifi clients to disconnect in the process.

I must say that my friends lives in a rather crowded wifi environment, at one time 18 wifi networks were listed.

his router is an Asus R-N12E. Wifi channel is fixed on 3. 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n modes supported and active. channel width is 20/40 MHz.

I left these settings untouched (they worked), but I tried to modify some other advanced settings (RTS threshold, etc) but it did not make any difference, I must also say that on my friend's other pc (a desktop but with a netgear USB wireless adapter) wifi connection is rock-solid (when an AC3160 is not connected, anyway!); and so it was on his previous notebook, a Lenovo (cannot remember the exact model). At the end of the day, I noticed that my pc has the same wifi adapter as the Dell! (actually, I never wondered what was the model of my wifi adapter till today) so I came to think that POSSIBLY the EVIL combination of AC3160 card AND Asus router was the cause. I cannot see any other reason for this odd issue. I would appreciate if someone at Intel could confirm this possibility, since other combinations of router/wifi adapter work flawlessy. And maybe provide a solution - having my friend change his router is not a viable solution though...

Surely I will update drivers on both my Lenovo and his Dell to see if it makes any difference (I had no time today), but after reading other comments I am doubtful about it

(and sorry for my bad english)

0 Kudos
DMora12
Novice

I found the solution. Config the adapter according to this file:https://www.msi.com/pic/faq/10015790@2015-0206-0239-237248@faq_0000000001178_en.pdf https://www.msi.com/pic/faq/10015790@2015-0206-0239-237248@faq_0000000001178_en.pdf

Install WLAN Optimizer: http://www.martin-majowski.de/ http://www.martin-majowski.de/

Config WLAN Optimizer this way:

/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-393767-252216/Sem Título.jpg

Work for me.