Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7455 Discussions

Substituiçao/atualização de placa de wi-Fi

LucasFAmaral
Beginner

Olá! Tenho um Dell Inspiron 14 series 3000 - 3442 (14-3442-810).

É um notebook bem antigo mas me atende bem. Troquei até agora penas a bateria e o DH para um SSD. Mas atualmente estou tendo dificuldade com a velocidade de conexão dele com a internet. Ele está com uma placa de Dell wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4Ghz). Gostaria de trocar por uma dual band e que permitisse velocidades maiores de conexão. A placa mãe é a OWVGRF - A06. 

É possivel fazer essa troca? Qual placa de wifi dual band (802.11AC) vcs me recomendam?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Before anything else, if you have an older laptop, I must warn you that some manufacturers implement Inclusion/Exclusion lists in their BIOS that will prevent you from upgrading yourself. If this is the case, you can only purchase upgrades through the laptop manufacturer – and usually on an outrageous cost-plus basis.

There are several cards that you could use if Wireless-AC and WiFi 5 capabilities are considered good enough. Since the cards cost roughly the same, however, I recommend upgrading to the latest Wireless-AX and WiFi 6/6e capabilities. To upgrade to the latest Wireless-AX and WiFi 6 support, you need an AX200 module. For Wireless-AX and WiFi 6e (which supports the 6GHz band), you need an AX210 module.

If Wireless-AC is all you want, you have a few cards to choose from, the 3160HMW, 7260HMW, or the 7265HMW. Note that you CANNOT use the 3160NGW, 7260NGW, or 7265NGW as these do not fit into the socket in your laptop. Note also that, while these cards are certainly available for sale through Amazon and other marketplaces, they have been discontinued by Intel - and this makes driver availability problematic.

If you choose to go for a Wireless-AX card, there is a small problem: Intel does not manufacture these cards in the older HMW formfactor any longer. All is not lost, however; there are 3rd-party companies that take the Intel silicon and mount it onto the older formfactor cards. These cards utilize the exact same drivers that are used by Intel cards, downloaded (yourself) from the Intel Download Center, so nothing sketchy here. These cards are slightly more expensive than the Intel NGW cards, however: ~US$30 (due to smaller sales volumes, I think). Here are examples:

These HMW cards are examples only; the ones that I actually purchased and tested are from a company named Fenvi, who doesn't seem to offer card-level products through Amazon (I purchased mine through NewEgg).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos