Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20713 Discussions

Help for Jtag Programming

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am completely new with my MAX II CPLD (and also a new engineer) and I want to use the Jtag interface with my 8051 microcontroller (without Jtag interface). I’m confused about what to do as the first step:  

- Fight directly programming my microcontroller  

or  

- Use the Jam Byte-Code Player (but the information to use it is not large at all). 

No one of these options is for me clear, can somebody help me to get started? Is there any simple sample for this comunications any where? 

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am in the same situation. I chose to try and use the byte-code player, but I am getting an error (unrecognized device) when I attempt to run the program. 

Has anyone successfully ported the byte-code player program to an embedded processor? How can I verify that I am correctly sending the correct hardware signals?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is an App Note that has some of the info that might be helpful to you: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an111.pdf 

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is another App Note that is useful too: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/an/an122.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you mean that you want to program MAX II devices with MCU8051? If yes, till now no driver/player is available. The 8051 Bytecode Player doesn't support MAX II device since the JAM file format supported by 8051 Bytecode player is version 1.1, and MAX II devices are only supported in Quartus II which doesn't support to generate the JAM file 1.1.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you sure the byte-code player only supports 1.1? Based on the code, it looks like it has support for JAM STAPL 2.0. The .jbc file I am trying to program is in the 2.0 format.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Altera Support people confirmed me, that it's not valid the Jam or the JBC 8051 for my Max II device, the others classical versions Max 3000 or Max 7000 are valid. The one valid for my Max II would be the JBC/JAM STAPL, but are not valid for my 8051... I have a problem.  

Anybody found a way arround to make the ISP?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

i am working on a project for academic interest. need to remotely reprogram CPLD using 8051 microcontroller. Can anyone help me with the kind/format of file required to be sent to 8051 and how to convert it in JTAG. 

Am totally clueless. Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I think you will have a lot of fun, specially if you are using a MAX II CPLD, the distributor told us that it not compatible for using the JBC Player which allows to generate the code for programming the device. For us it was a problem and finally we gave up. 

If it is not your case try to read the information about the JBC 1.1 Player I think the other versions are not supported by our 8051.  

Any way, Good Luck and please, if you get it write some letters here.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Can anyone help me reagrding the format of SVF file? Can i directly read it? Secondly, how do I drive this file in JTAG format to program the CPLD through 8051?The port 0 pins of 8051 are programmed as JTAG pins, but does any one know the timing diagram of JTAG? How i can map these pins so that they send the data in compatible form to program the CPLD. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I'm trying to port the jbc or jam player to a pic microcontroller to configure an acex EP1k100. When i try to use the jbc player suddenly it require to dynamically allocate a 20k section to decompress a variable, but i dont have that much memory, is any way to make a jbc file uncompress before storing it in the memory (i use an SD memory by the way and load pieces of the file as required). when i try the jam player, it gives me this error"Error on line 31: undefined symbol.."and on line 31 of the jam file:"ACTION CONFIGURE = L20, DO_READ_USERCODE OPTIONAL, DO_HALT_ON_CHIP_CC OPTIONAL, DO_IGNORE_IDCODE_ERRORS OPTIONAL,"has anyone a clue of how to get around this??help would be very much appreciated...Raul

0 Kudos