FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5932 Discussions

Problems with Cyclone III - NIOS II Embedded Evaluation kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone, 

I just received my Cyclone III devkit last week, and this weekend I spent some time trying to get it to work. I still haven't had any luck. Hopefully, someone here can point me in the right direction, because I've gone through the user manual and it isn't helping. 

1. I powered up the board after inserting the included SD card, and nothing appears on the screen. The user manual says that I might have to press the reconfigure button twice, but that doesn't help. I have confirmed that the SD card does have the sample apps installed. 

2. I then used the nios2-flash-programmer to reload the factory image .flash file. After doing that, I received the following status: 

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Resetting and pausing target processor: OK 

Checksummed/read 1069kB in 1301.0s 

Erase not required 

Programmed 1101KB in 0.0s 

No change to device contents 

Leaving target processor paused 

I'm not sure why the target processor is paused, but I would bet that's why the application selector isn't running. :) Can anyone tell me how to fix this? 

3. I cannot get any sample apps to run in Quartus II v7.2. Every time I try to compile a sample app, it gives me errors related to my license file not having support for SD_MMC_..., or other options. I have a free 150 day (?) license, and already pointed Quartus II at this license file. If I can't compile and run any sample applications, what good was it to even buy this devkit? 

4. When I run the NIOS 2 IDE and try the hello_world sample application, it won't run because I don't have a JTAG connected. Do I really have to buy more hardware just to print "hello world"? 

Thanks in advance for any ideas / suggestions!
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, for me it's ok. 

I have found the mistake and so the buttons and the LED's are working perfectly in my design. But if you try some applications and the button's don't work, you have to connect the button's correctly.
0 Kudos