Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

VGA Component für NEEK

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

i just wanted to know whether a vga component for the NEEK exists? 

Regards, 

D.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can modify the one from DE2VGA example. 

- Hippo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

after some issues with the touch screen driver I would like to refer back on this topic. 

As I assumed you refered to the de2vga components also used in frame buffer example on http://www.nioswiki.com/operatingsystems/uclinux/framebuffer (de2_vga.zip) 

Could you provide me the source of the de2vga example if I'm wrong, please. 

Further more could you please list the modifications/modified component settings I have to perform? 

I would appreciate your help. 

Regards, 

D
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I mean the de2_vga.zip. The vga controller was posted on old niosforum. 

On the other hand, there are video input/output core in sopc builder of quartus v9.1. I would suggest them for new design. Though I don't have time to try out myself. 

- Hippo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your fast reply! 

I'm working with Quartus 9.0sp2. Target Board is NEEK. 

Actually "Clocked Video Output/Input" (SOPCBuilder: Video and Image Processing -> IO -> Clocked Video Output) are included in Quartus 9.0sp2. 

Did you mean this cores? 

I wanted to extend the cIII standard system files (you posted under: 

http://www.nioswiki.com/@api/deki/files/115/=neek_ocm_spi.zip

with a vga component and use it on NEEK. 

1) Is it possible with 'modified' de2vga files and/or video output cores of quartus 9.1? 

The controller you mentioned is that one http://forum.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3165 

if I'm right.  

2) Could you roughly point out the changes I have to consider if the extension with de2vga is possible on the mentioned system files? 

Regards, 

D
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, it is in the 3165 post. You can copy the VGA_controller_component dir to your neek project's ip directory. 

neek_ocm_spi/ip/VGA... 

Then you can add it within sopc builder. Be sure to name it as "vga_controller_0". Connect master port to ddr sdram, and slave port to peripheral bus. You will need to modify the top level design to connect the video outputs. 

- Hippo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks. 

Sorry for my bad knowledge, but I have two more questions: 

1) Placed and connected the vga_controller into the sopc system. 

What clock does the slave/master port of the vga_controller need? (Configured the controller: 1024x768 65 MHz) 

2) Do I need further components like parts of the modified de2vga example? 

I would like to keep you informed for potential questions. 

D.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I need some help with error issues after trying to generate the system (SOPC Builder). 

As stated above I integrated the vga controller into the standard cIII system and hit 'Generate' but an error states the following report: 

error: one or more components could not be located (ddr_high_perf). check ip search path under tools->options... in sopc builder. 

error: system generation failed. 

I set the search path for the ddr_high_perf component to the proper IP folder where the component is located but the error will still appear. 

Have you some advice on this problem? 

Appreciate, 

D
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

delete the db folder in your project directory and try again

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Tried, but no success. The error message still appears.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Problem solved. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi again, 

I have a hard time to make the connections between the vga controller and the system design. 

Could you please provide some help, like what connection I have to consider, which design file is involved, etc? 

It also would be great if a ready-to-run system for NEEK (EP3C25) with this vga-controller already exists and you could present the source. 

PS: Does the "Altera framebuffer support" under uClinux kernel configuration also support the vga output? 

For some help, I'd be much obliged. 

Regards, 

D.
0 Kudos