Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20713 Discussions

Difference between VCCIO and VREF?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi,everyone. 

i just start to use fpga cycloneIII,and i have a question which may be easy to answer. Thank you. 

question :is it right that VCCIO just supply the power?for example,if i want to use a bank to interface with a 3.3v device,i could VCCIO=2.5 and make sure VREF==3.3?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can omit VREF pins if you are not using any voltage referenced IO standard. In this case you can use VREF pins just like any other IO. VCCIO is the main supply lines, which must be tied to the supply voltage, which is the expected IO supply, e.g., Connect 3.3V to VCCIO for 3.3V IO (using a 3.3V device).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

BD SLS 

Thank you. 

IF interface fpga with 2.5v device,VREF must be connected to 2.5V,and VCCIO could be connected to 3.3V, and in this case,IO ports in this bank is 2.5V standard. 

Is it right?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

BD SLS 

Thank you. 

IF interface fpga with 2.5v device,VREF must be connected to 2.5V,and VCCIO could be connected to 3.3V, and in this case,IO ports in this bank is 2.5V standard. 

Is it right? 

--- Quote End ---  

No. 

If you want to interface with a 2.5V device you need to connect VCCIO for those banks to 2.5V. 

VREF is used only for voltage referenced SSTL or HSTL I/O modes, in which case you connect VREF to half the rail normally(example: for VCCIO=2.5V, VREF=1.25V). 

If you don't use SSTL/HSTL, VREF pins can be used as normal I/Os.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If you don't use SSTL/HSTL, VREF pins can be used as normal I/Os. 

--- Quote End ---  

Make sure you check the device handbook before doing this - I don't know about older devices, but the Stratix IV specifically states that if VREF pins are not used for voltage referencing, they cannot be used as generic I/O (Vol.1, 6-54)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

VREF pins can be shared as IOs with all Cyclone devices, they are dedicated pins with Stratix and Arria.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Be careful when using the VREF pins as fast I/O on the Cyclones, the VREF pins have a higher capacitance than the regular I/O pins.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

how to configure a VREF pin as IO in cyclone 3 ? 

there are commands line to add to qsf file ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Simply assign them as IO. No additional settings required.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've red somewhere that 1.25V should be asserted to the VREF pins (with Cyclones III) when using the LVDS standard. 

However, I do not find anything clear about that in the device familly handbook... 

So if I use LVDS signalings with a bank, I must apply 2.5V to VCCIO pins and what about the VREF pins? 

Yours faithfully
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The VREF pins aren't used with LVDS. They are only used with some fast single-ended iI/O standards, such as SSTL. 

You can use those pins as regular I/O.
0 Kudos