Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Time out problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I am trying to make a counter which counts until timeout. Quartus II doesn't support using "wait for" or "after"? Then what can I do to end the process after a while?:confused:

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

library IEEE; use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all; use IEEE.std_logic_unsigned.all; entity counter_test is port ( CLOCK_50MHz: in std_logic; fin: out bit; ); end entity counter_test; architecture behav of counter_test is signal fin: bit := '0'; begin process (CLOCK_50MHz) -- variable sub_cnt : integer := 0; constant timeout:time:=10 ms; begin if (CLOCK_50MHz'event and CLOCK_50MHz = '1')then cnt <= '1' after timeout; -- sub_cnt := sub_cnt + 1; end if; -- wait until (CLOCK_50MHz'event and CLOCK_50MHz = '1') for timeout; end process; end architecture behav; 

Where to begin... 

- You cannot synthesize this code - hopefully you know that. 

- You can't define "fin" as a port and a signal. 

- I guess the first question is are you trying to make synthesizable code? If so it is going to change the answer quite a bit.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to make a synthesizable code. I made some mistakes in the previous code, now I changed it but it still doesn't work. I can compile it but the reault after simulation is not what I'm expecting. I am totally confused about how to impelement a time limitration here. I am using QuartusII, and that software doesn't support "wait for"......

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am trying to make a synthesizable code. I made some mistakes in the previous code, now I changed it but it still doesn't work. I can compile it but the reault after simulation is not what I'm expecting. I am totally confused about how to impelement a time limitration here. I am using QuartusII, and that software doesn't support "wait for"...... 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

I suggest you to have a look at quartus vhdl templates (there are counter examples I think) and a get a good book (or tutorials or good examples) about synthesizable VHDL code. http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii51007.pdf?gsa_pos=1&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=coding%20style 

"wait until" "after" are ignored by Quartus synthesizer. 

Have a nice day.
0 Kudos