Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Is the UP2 capable of doing my ideas?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I am new to UP2 and was wondering if the UP2 could do any of the following: 

1- portable attendance marking system using RFID? 

description: students each with their own ID card with automatically have their attendance taken once they enter the lecture room (the lecturer will be having portable RFID sensor system, it range is to cover the entire lecture room, around 10*10 meter square). After lecture, the lecturer may upload the students attendance to the main system at the office. 

2- thumb/finger/palm match sensor & heart/pulse rate detection 

description: this is done for security purporse. Such system maybe installed at entrance of a building. The system is to scan the thumb/finger/palm of a person to see if he is an authorized person to enter the building. On top of the that, the additional pulse/heart rate detection is to make sure that he is not under threat or being force by some other people to open the door.(pulse rate changes when a human is under threat, eg:beats faster.) Or even if the authorized person's hand should be chopped off, the system will not open as there is no pulse rate detected. 

I hope my description above is clear enough. Looking forward for your suggestions and ideas! Thanks! 

Eugene Siew :confused:
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1 - The UP2 should be able to process the data, the real question to ask is if you can get an RFID sensor that will work in that large of a space. I do not think that they have that type of range. 

2 - This one should be possible. Google finger print and UCLA, as I think that something similar has already been done 4 years ago by someone there. I know the Insight guy who helped them.
0 Kudos