Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16613 Discussions

EThernet Blaster protocol

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm looking for Ethernet blaster protocol. Could you help me ? 

I would like to have debug interface from Quartus/Nios IDE to remote HW. 

Is there an any chance to find such description or it is for internal altera use only? 

Adam
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not familiar with the Ethernet Blaster, but we do know that the USB Blaster protocol is undocumented. Actually most Altera JTAG/Debug related PC protocols are undocumented as well. 

So the answer is that I don't really know, but I would expect the Ethernet Blaster protocol to be undocumented. 

Note that you are not telling us exactly why you need the protocol information. It is not needed in most scenarios. Remote hardware shouldn't be a big problem with standard Altera tools.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've got huge remote system with few FPGA's inside and only one connection to it - ethernet . So how to connect thru ethernet to JTAG bus with altera fpga's and standart tool's ? 

Adam
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why can't you deploy an Ethernet Blaster at that remote system? Is this just an issue of saving the cost of the Altera Ethernet Blaster, or there is some other issue? 

Do you have a JTAG header or connector at your hardware at all?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, I can't put Ethernet blaster and additional hub/switch inside. 

Because requirements and place. 

Yes, I have JTAG connector and same lines are connected to ARM i/o port with ethernet. Also PS is connected to my ARM proc. 

BR 

Adam
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't have a solution without too much pain: 

- Implement some kind of virtual XXX Blaster driver at a local PC. The driver would need to somehow convert and send/receive data to your remote ARM proc. 

- Do some reverse engineering. 

- Contact Altera. They might be able to provide some documentation under NDA.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also strongly expect the Ethernet Blaster protocol to be undocumented. I don't think, that there are any related DIY projects, because USB Blaster cloning is more simple. So if you desperately need it, you have to find out yourself.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank's a lot. I'll ask Altera directly. 

BR 

Adam
0 Kudos
Yashwant
Beginner

Hello,

have you found the solution ?

0 Kudos
aesq
Novice

At my side I use an Ethernet blaster II that works fine when connected to a Cyclone V FPGA.

I can run the Quartus programmer/signal tap from either Linux or Windows.

For this a Fix IP address is dedicated to the MAC address of the Ethernet blaster 2.

To be noted that the Ethernet blaster 2 is only stable using a 100 Mpbs network setting

and where the" fast port" switch ethernet option is turned off (otherwise the connection is being lost after few seconds).

0 Kudos