Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Help with avalon Interval Timer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HI  

I made a Project in qu@rtus II 5.0sp1 Web edition, and in SOPC Builder, I added NIOS II cpu, AvalonTri-State Bridge to an external SRAM, Jtag UART and a Interval Timer. The system generation and hardware configuration went fine. When did a simple application for the design in Nios II IDE Evaluation Edition 5.0, it alsow worked fine, although the aplication didn´t use the Interval Timer. So I want to try the Timer.  

I want to use the Intervall timer to mesure the time for som executions for example  

Sum = 5;  

So I want to initalize the timer, start it, then after the execution stop it and then read the value.  

For example like this :  

int main(Void)  

{  

int Sum = 0;  

int Time = 0;  

........ // Here I want to initalize the timer  

........ // Start the timer  

Sum = 5;  

........ // Stop the timer  

Time = ........ // Read the value of the timer  

return 0;  

}  

Can someone give me an example C code.  

/MrZ
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Start looking at the documentation provided for the timer component. There you will find on what adresses you must write to initialse the timer, and to read it out.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think you should have a look at the performance counter peripheral...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

simpler still, you can just use the timestamp feature in the HAL. See the section "High Resolution Time Measurement" in the Nios II Software Developer's Manual for a description and a code example. 

Remember to set the timestamp device to be your timer in the system library properties page in the Nios II IDE.
0 Kudos