Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

DE2 as USB device using VHDL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am now working in a project which needs to make the DE2 as a USB device. 

I am trying to write my own VHDL firmware on the FPGA. 

Now I write some codes and can communicate with the ISP1362. 

I can read from the ISP1362 and receive a request from the host PC, so I write a reply packet to the ISP1362 but the host PC cannot receive anything and keep sending the same request. 

I want to ask if there is any example or tutorial for using the ISP1362? I want to know whether I have written wrongly to the ISP1362 or is there any other problems? 

As I check the demo from DE2 using the NIOS CPU as USB device, I downloaded to the FPGA and the PC detects nothing when I plugged into the USB device port. So I am not sure the procedure it uses to connect with the PC is correct or not. 

Please help in this. I have tried for weeks and still not yet found a solution to make it send a packet to the host PC.  

I can share the code if needed.  

THANKS.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want to ask if the reply must be 64Byte or can be any number of bytes? 

And then validate the buffer?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi , 

I also want to do the same applicaton as urs. But as u sais, I tried with the demonstration examples and my PC does not detect the De2 board. Can u please share how did u manage to write the code in VHDL, i am really a beginner in this filed. 

Hope to hear from you soon.Thanking you in advance. 

Mahesh
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Not very soon I guess, but hope this helps anyone who stumbles upon your post. 

Here is an example project, which configures 2 USB Bulk Endpoints in VHDL - enabling USB communication with the DE2 board without the NIOS II processor: 

http://mzakharo.github.com/usb-de2-fpga/ 

Hope this helps, 

Mikhail
0 Kudos