Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Quartus II Web Edition & Linux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, is there any reason why the Web Edition is not available for Linux?, i'm a student and my primary desktop runs only Linux and would like to use the Web Edition without having to swap out all my desktop. I'll be using it just for this semester as far as i know.....

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suspect it is both a cost and time issue. 

For the free WEB edition, there would need to be additional testing to release that product, and additional support questions. 

Perhaps as Linux overtakes Windows as the dominant platform, we will see a transition to that offering in the WEB editions. 

Perhpas, 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It may also be a function of Windows being more "the same", as opposed to many different distributions of linux. The supported distributions are limited to RHEL and SUSE 9 enterprise, which are probably rare among Web Edition users, since mostly those are distributions that are purchased, rather than downloaded.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would like to address the previous comments. 

First, I don't think there is a "testing" or "support" question for the Quartus Web Edition: 

The fact that the software is offered freely imply that there are no official support other than the forums, and no guaranties. 

If one want these, the paying version is here for that.  

(And it's not like the software was windows-only, it *already* runs undere linux....) 

Concerning the distributions, SUSE 9 can be freely downloaded (not the enterprise version, but the distribution is 100% compatible),  

Concerning RHEL which is a commercial version, CENTOS is fully compatible with it (with no technical support other than forums of course). I use it daily to test packages going to be installed on a RHEL afterward. 

If people needs to install on other version, like Debian or Ubuntu, it's now possible thanks to the recents enhancements of the binary compatibility between distributions : A simple script would be needed to convert the RPM package in another format. 

For now, I'm also starting in the FPGA domain, and if my heart goes toward Altera's chips, I've been holding my investment until a linux version of the Quartus Web Edition comes out.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Linux support for Quartus Web Edition is now available in beta form. download it on the altera download page (https://www.altera.com/support/software/download/altera_design/quartus_we/dnl-quartus_we.jsp).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Many thanks to you, I'll try it right away.  

Since I'm running Debian, I'll report here if I succeed or not.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello again,  

I'm glad to report that the Web Edition beta work perfectly under Debian Lenny ! 

Now I just need to get a development board. Fortunatly, Christmas is almost there :-)
0 Kudos