Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

FU**ING IDE

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello. 

why sometimes ide changes by itself builder in Project propertis->Builder from "Altera Generated Makefile Builder" to "com.altera.ide.core.alterabuider" and it became impossible to build project? 

how to fix it without recreating the project from scratch? 

by the way altera's ide is most worth ide that i have ever used. 

can anybody explain why it takes 500mb in RAM and so slow?  

it takes 5-10 times longer to compare with other solutions to make equal task for another CPU.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

m_fox, 

The use of vulgar language in your topic is not acceptable -- and the thin veil you 

applied changes nothing. At best, it is unprofessional and lacks even the slightest 

hint of technical merit. 

The use of such language reflects poorly on you -- but more important, it reflects 

poorly on this forum. How you choose to represent yourself is your business -- but 

at least show some consideration for the rest of us ... especially if you expect us 

to volunteer our time to help you. 

Good day, 

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I agree with Scott,  

<rant on> 

but haven&#39;t we all cursed the IDE and Altera (because of it) at one point in time? 

The issue is that Eclipse ...i.e. CDT (despite the earnest efforts of many a company) is still not up to snuff when it comes to an embedded development environment. Unless of course you enjoy the C/C++ indexing lag (I know I can disable it on a per project basis...) or the unexplained IDE lockups... along with a .log full of useless Java tracebacks. 

We&#39;ve been hearing now, for at least two CDT release cycles that these problems will be addressed, only to meet with dissappointment when that release finally comes. 

I can&#39;t wait for the day when CDT reaches the level of stability and functionality that Eclipse&#39;s JDT user&#39;s already enjoy! 

</rant off> 

I can now use my IDE after 30-40 seconds of freezing. Nice....back to work. 

Cheers, 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by m_fox@Mar 31 2006, 10:00 AM 

hello. 

why sometimes ide changes by itself builder in project propertis->builder from "altera generated makefile builder" to "com.altera.ide.core.alterabuider" and it became impossible to build project? 

how to fix it without recreating the project from scratch? 

by the way altera&#39;s ide is most worth ide that i have ever used. 

can anybody explain why it takes 500mb in ram and so slow?  

it takes 5-10 times longer to compare with other solutions to make equal task for another cpu. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=13927) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

i would like to see what you will say if you would have a many thousands $ project, hart limit dead line and such unpredictable and slow design tools, i mean nios IDE and quartus. to compare with AD dsp tools, iar altera&#39;s is... witout vulgar language ... no good. 

i have used IDEs based on eclipse for different CPUs and they are very fast.
0 Kudos