Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Does C2H generate to HDL verilog file?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

I'm new to C2H compiler. My question is that Alter C2H syntheis/comiler does or doesn't generate from C to HDL verilog file.  

Because I look all over the GUI in Nios IDE that I couldn't find it. 

Thanks, 

Sean
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The C2H compiler will generate a few of files: 

1) The verilog/VHDL file that implements the function in hardware (top level of the Quartus II project) 

2) A .tcl file that describes the hardware accelerator as a component ("" "") 

3) A .tcl file that automatically hooks up the accelerator to the system (" ") 

4) A .c wrapper file that includes the accesses to the hardware accelerator, this file gets linked in when you have the hardware accelerator selected in the Nios II IDE for the function implementation. (generated into the software application /Debug or /Release directory)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks.  

Maybe I blind or something. Because I couldn't find General HDL option in C2H GUI compiler. I also try ImpulseC and it does has option for me to generate to HDL (.v) file in folder HW.  

Could you show me how to generate this or maybe I use a wrong software C2H. I'm using Nios II 9.0 IDE. 

Sean
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Page 31 shows what the setup should look like: http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_nios2_c2h_compiler.pdf 

I recommend reading that doc since it covers the flow and a bunch of other C2H topics.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, 

I'm using Nios II 9.0 IDE free version that came with Quartus II, I wonder I can't generate verilog file because I don't have a full license.  

Sean
0 Kudos