Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Incorrectly reading system timestamp?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have just tried to migrate my design into Quartus II 9.0SP2 (from 6.0). After overcoming several other hurdles, I seem stuck on this one. My design has compiled just fine, but when I try to Debug the project, I am getting the following timestamp error: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Pausing target processor: OK 

Reading System ID at address 0x000010F0:  

ID value does not match: read 0x017C0074; expected 0x26ACCFA6 

Timestamp value does not match: image on board is older than expected 

Read timestamp 7:00:04 1992/01/24; expected 13:10:49 2009/09/14 

The software you are downloading may not run on the system which is currently 

configured into the device. Please download the correct SOF or recompile. 

Restarting target processor 

--- Quote End ---  

Now, before you tell me that this has been discussed 100 times, and I just need to download the proper .sof file, let me explain that I have already done that. By comparison, with the same hardware, I'll now open Nios II V6.0 and try to Debug again: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Reading System ID at address 0x000010F0:  

ID value does not match: read 0x26ACCFA6; expected 0xEA60D0F2 

Timestamp value does not match: image on board is newer than expected 

Read timestamp 13:10:49 2009/09/14; expected 9:11:44 2009/08/31 

--- Quote End ---  

Ignore the fact that it's failing, and just look at the timestamp that was read back. It's exactly what it should be reading back (in this example, I attempted to run an older version, just so I could see this message with V6.0). 

I checked the sopc file, and my system ID is 648859558, with Time stamp = 1252962869. I'd have to look up how to convert that to a date - currently I'm not certain whether that is correct or not, but I can tell you it certainly wasn't created in 1992. The address is at 0x000010F0, just where Nios is expecting it to be. 

Is there some additional configuration I need to do to properly set up the newer version of Quartus and Nios to read from the correct address? This type of headache is exactly why I've put off upgrading for so long! 

Thanks in advance for any help on this!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you using Nios II Flash Programmer? I think you can uncheck the option at the bottom "Verify SOPC Before Downloading" or something like that and it'll let you flash your code, and it'll work.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Actually, I am not using the Flash Programmer. This problem occurs before reaching that stage anyway - i.e. when I'm trying to Debug in Nios. The Flash Programmer is limited to a single processor, so I use the text commands in the Command Shell to program, but I need to debug the program first. 

Is there a way to set a similar option for Debugging? Even so, I'm not happy with this as a permanent solution, as the verification is normally a good thing to keep it idiot-proof and make sure I don't download the wrong .sof file.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I actually just tried the Flash Programmer (to program just one CPU), and it reads the system ID just fine, so the problem seems to be solely with the Nios II Debugger. Here is the relevant portion of the information shown in the console: 

--- Quote Start ---  

# Programming flash with the FPGA configuration 

"$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/nios2-flash-programmer" --epcs --base=0x00000000 --sidp=0x0 

00019f0 --id=372094003 --timestamp=1253043911 --instance=1 "ETF.flash" 

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x01 

Resetting and pausing target processor: OK 

reading system id at address 0x000019f0: verified 

Programmed 366KB +18KB in 8.8s (43.6KB/s)  

Did not attempt to verify device contents 

Leaving target processor paused 

# Programming flash with the project 

"$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/nios2-flash-programmer" --epcs --base=0x00000000 --sidp=0x0 

00019f0 --id=372094003 --timestamp=1253043911 --instance=1 "epcs_controller.flas 

h" 

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x01 

Resetting and pausing target processor: OK 

reading system id at address 0x000019f0: verified 

Programmed 9KB +55KB in 1.3s (49.2KB/s)  

Did not attempt to verify device contents 

Leaving target processor paused 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just wanted to post an update to this thread. The problem is still not resolved, but it can at least be tracked through the EDS Release Notes and Errata (). Look for the "Spurious System ID Mismatch Error". 

They suggest a couple workarounds there, but the one I'm currently employing is to stick with the older version of the Altera tools. Version 6.0 does not exhibit this problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi mgirwin, 

Did you solve your problem? 

I have the same one, but with other year hehe 

I tried creating a new software with archives .c and .h by NiosII SBT, but neither worked.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Supposedly, the issue has been resolved as of Version 10 (I think 10). I honestly haven't had a chance to thoroughly test out the latest versions though, so I've still been sticking with Version 6. I believe the problem should only occur in versions 7 through 9.

0 Kudos