Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16617 Discussions

(Newbie) Device verify failure

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm very new to all of this... 

I'm using a Quartus II v7.2 and an HVW technologies development board which is just a MAX7000 EPM7064SLCC44-10 and a byteblasterMV programmer. When I try to program and verify the device I get "Error : Can't verify device". 

If I press the autodetect button it does pick up an EPM7064S device, which I take to mean that there is communication between the PC and the device, ie, the programmer is working. Is this assumption correct? 

I have tried replacing the MAX7000 device, but there is no change.  

I've attached a screenshot of Quartus for good measure  

Thanks, 

Mike
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If I press the autodetect button it does pick up an EPM7064S device, which I take to mean that there is communication between the PC and the device, ie, the programmer is working. Is this assumption correct? 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, exactly. It means that the JTAG chain is basically operational and is able to transport meaningful data. A verify error may have different causes, it may be e. g. any kind of hardware problem, starting with LPT interface up to the EPM device and it's power supply.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. 

So if I understand you, the presence of two way communication between the EPM device and Quartus does not necessarily mean that the programmer is working fully, ie, that it is able to program the CPLD?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. If the interface has ocassional errors, e. g. due to bad signal quality, the ID register may be read correctly, but the voluminous programming data has errors. Another possible reason is, that EPM7000 configuration programming fails, cause the supply voltage is too low.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For the record, the problem was that my parallel progamming cable was too long. Seems it should not be more than 300mm.

0 Kudos