Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Generating ELF image for kernel

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I managed to follow the excellent build instructions for generatnig the uClinux kernel. For a complete newbie, I got it built in less than half an hour from installation. 

I do not have a byte blaster but a thirdparty JTAG debugger. I have downloaded a working JBC file to my Stratix EP1S10 ES device. I can download the binary file but I'm not sure at which address I should be loading it to. What would really help me is to be able to generate an ELF image fo the kernel with all the symbols so I can check things are running that way - no byte blaster so no JTAG UART terminal, I'm afraid :-( 

Can somebody point me in the right direction to generate an ELF image of my kernel please. 

Many thanks, 

Richard
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Richard, 

If you don't have a JTAG uart, you can re-config the kernel to use the nios uart as the console. The kernel build also generates an ELF image file, called vmlinux, in the same directory as the binary file. Please have a check, 

wentao
0 Kudos