Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16618 Discussions

Quartus II 8.0 issue of PLL

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am new to Quartus II , I am using Quartus II 8.0 build 215 in that When I instantiate a PLL it errors out for Stratix III and IV ,the error message is as follows: 

Info: Elaborating entity "pll_50_100" for hierarchy "inst_pll" 

Info: Elaborating entity "pll_50_100_bb" for hierarchy "inst_pll|pll1" 

Info: Elaborating entity "altpll" for hierarchy "inst_pll|pll1|altpll_component" 

Error: WYSIWYG primitive "pll" is not compatible with the current device family File: /in/quartus_8.0bld215/quartus/libraries/megafunctions/altpll.t 

df Line: 590 

Error: Can't elaborate user hierarchy "inst_pll|pll1|altpll_component" File: /home/<user>/stratixiv/rtl/cae/altera/design108/qis/qis_s4/verilog/pll_50_100_bb.v Line: 86 

I also checked at Line 590 for altpll.tdf it had the foloowing code: 

INCLUDE "aglobal80"; -- to get the device family information 

INCLUDE "stratix_pll"; -- Stratix wysiwyg 

INCLUDE "stratixii_pll"; -- Stratix II wysiwyg 

INCLUDE "cycloneii_pll"; -- cycloneii wysiwyg 

What could be the possible remedy for this? 

Many thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sometimes you have to select the correct device family in the PLL MegaWizard. Sometimes you can select one family there and compile for another family. I change the selection in the MegaWizard when I get an error during compilation. 

Later edit: My post was assuming you had a device family other than Stratix III or Stratix IV selected in the MegaWizard.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would have said you didn't have the write file, but I have a Q8.0 Cyclone III design in front of me that has a PLL and compiles. I opened the altpll.tdf file, searched on the "include", and see the same lines you're seeing, i.e. no mention of Cyclone III. But interestingly, mine are at line 448, so there is something different between our two files, even though we should be using the same version of Quartus. Can you check: 

a) The header at the top has a build. Mine says: 

-- 8.0 Build 215 05/29/2008  

Can you check yours? 

b) Check what directory your file is in? Is it the Q8.0 install? (Are you installing Quartus versions into the same directory?) 

Finally, perhaps try re-opening it in Quartus, making sure the targeted family is SIII or SIV, and re-generate.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes mine too says --8.0 Build 215 05/29/2008 

and this file is in quartus_8.0bld215/quartus/libraries/megafunctions/ 

It is in the megafunctions directory.. 

Just tell me one thing that do I have to use the wizard to modify this file for using it for Stratix III and IV and infact Cyclone III too,because if I select Stratix II while opening a new project it works but doesn't work when I select stratix III.. 

As regards Brad "Sometimes you have to select the correct device family in the PLL MegaWizard. Sometimes you can select one family there and compile for another family. I change the selection in the MegaWizard when I get an error during compilation." Can you just elaborate it because I am a beginner .
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just a small correction I too have the include lines at 448 but the error is pointed out at line 590 which says  

IF !STRATIXII_MEMBER() GENERATE 

pll : stratix_pll WITH ( 

OPERATION_MODE = OPERATION_MODE, 

COMPENSATE_CLOCK = USED(COMPENSATE_CLOCK) ? COMPENSATE_CLOCK : "UNUSED", 

QUALIFY_CONF_DONE = QUALIFY_CONF_DONE, 

PLL_TYPE = PLL_TYPE, 

SCAN_CHAIN = USED(SCAN_CHAIN) ? SCAN_CHAIN : "UNUSED", 

SKIP_VCO = USED(SKIP_VCO) ? SKIP_VCO : "UNUSED", 

and so on... 

and it talks of the WYSIWYG primitive "pll" not supported at this line 590...:) which is the line "pll : stratix_pll WITH ( " 

Plz do help it is happening in 4 or 5 of mine designs..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thnx a lot Brad and Rysc for ur help I have succesfully compiled the design by regenerating using the wizard.:)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

As regards Brad "Sometimes you have to select the correct device family in the PLL MegaWizard. Sometimes you can select one family there and compile for another family. I change the selection in the MegaWizard when I get an error during compilation." Can you just elaborate it because I am a beginner . 

--- Quote End ---  

When you configure a megafunction like altpll with the MegaWizard, the "Currently selected device family" field defaults to the device family selected in the Quartus project you had open when you started the MegaWizard. For some megafunctions, the device family selection is important. Depending on the device family selection in the Quartus project and the family selection in the MegaWizard, you might or might not be able to compile with these two device family selections not matching. It depends on how picky the code for the megafunction is about the device family selection. (This megafunction code is in a library under the Quartus installation directory. The "Analysis & Synthesis Source Files Read" table and Analysis & Synthesis messages in the compilation report tell you which megafunction library files are used.) 

For PLLs in particular, I often can change the device family in the Quartus project and still compile the PLL even though the PLL still has its device family set to something I'd been using earlier. Sometimes though I have to update the device family selection in the MegaWizard before I can compile. It just depends on what the family selections happen to be. 

It is best to keep the device family selection in the MegaWizard matching the one in the Quartus project to avoid problems--always do that for a new design. But if you are converting a Quartus project to a different device family, you don't have to change the device family selections for the megafunctions if the mismatch between the megafunction device family selection and the Quartus project device family doesn't cause warnings or errors.
0 Kudos