Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20707 Discussions

Nios II can't open "/device/epcs_controller"

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Got the message when running "memtest_1" and selecting "Test EPCS Serial Flash" 

from NIOS II IDE: 

-ERROR: Could not open /dev/epcs_controller 

I have a simple (test case) SOPC system containing 2S60F484, ddr2, Nios II/f, 2 TCMs, JTAG uart, and epcs_controller. All components were added from the GUI. I'm using 7.2SP3. 

Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Problem solved. Need to enable a variable in the *.ptf file when porting from 6.1 to 7.2SP3. Altera changed how the EPCS is handled between these 2 versions. Also, if your board need to have both the FPGA and HC chips along with EPCS you'll need this mod.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please the suspense is killing us. How about telling us what your solution was? 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have the same problem,but my system is cyc1,and epcs4.the sopc builder has a epcs controller,but i can't open the device-flash&epcs,but can read/write flash using IORD()/IOWR(),and can not do this to epcs,why?need your help,i use quartus ii version 6.0.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera may have fixed this problem with the latest Quartus 8.x release. However, for migrating from 6.1 to 7.2SP3 the solution I found was: 

1. Modify the "class.ptf" for the module in the "altera_avalon_epcs_flash_controller" directory of your install. Make sure you make a copy of it before you modify. 

2. Search for the entry named "use_asmi_atom" and replace "true" to "false", or from "1" to "0" depending on your setup. 

(Altera is inconsistent in "exposing" the epcs pins and "hiding" these pins somewhere between Quartus 7.x and Quartus 8.x - not sure why). 

Let me know if your problem is resolved. I wasn't sure if I was the only one experiencing this problem as there was no postings from anyone even suggesting what to look for.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Note that modifying Altera installed files (such as "class.ptf") is highly discouraged by Altera (for good reasons). However, this was the only way to get it resolved.

0 Kudos