Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Solution to weird microC error message

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This doesn't need help - I figured it out myself. Hopefully it will show up in a search if anyone else has this (heartbreaking) problem. 

I would make a project in several different versions of Quartus II, create a processor in SOPC builder, compile it all, load it into a DE1/DE2 board, then run a nios2 project based on the hello world template, and all would be fine and dandy. BUT, if I tried to run a nios2 project with microC running, I would get the following error when I tried to build it: 

**** Build of configuration Debug for project hello_ucosii_0 **** 

make -s all includes  

Creating generated_app.mk... 

Creating system.h... 

Jul 24, 2009 11:32:53 AM - (SEVERE) generate: java.lang.IllegalStateException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: java.lang.NumberFormatException: empty String 

make[1]: *** [system_description/../obj/system.h-t] Error 1 

make: *** [system_project] Error 2 

Build completed in 29.842 seconds 

Very frustrating, but eventually I discovered that you can fix this problem by putting a timer module (in a similar category to PIOs in SOPC builder) in your SOPC system where there wasn't one before (ideally, put one in in the first place...)! Then, new projects with microC will work fine, and old projects with the above error should work fine once you go: Project -> Properties, Associated System Library, System Library Properties, and set the System Clock Timer to the timer in your processor.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, Stephen. 

I am facing same problem as you met one year ago, and issue solved after fellowing your recommendation on Timer.
0 Kudos