Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16613 Discussions

Mutiple SOPC systems?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, can we build a system with multiple SOPC systems? This means that, I want to have 2 SOPC systems, each has one NIOS core and a private Avalon Bus Module and some other modules, and the two systems are connected in the BDF file using Quartus. If yes, how can we program this system (e.g., how to load programs to different NIOS cores in different SOPC systems)? 

Thanks,
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should be able to do this without any problems except one. SOPC builder will likely assign the same SLD Node instance to the JTAG debugger in both systems. This will create a conflict when you try to compile the project in Quartus. 

I've attached a document that is somewhat old now but you may find it helpful. This was written more specifically for creating multiple instances of the same SOPC system but the principle is the same. 

Aside from this issue, you treat the two systems completely independently and shouldn't have any problems. You will of course have to figure out for your self where they get their boot code from. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

SOPC builder will likely assign the same SLD Node instance to the JTAG debugger in both systems. 

--- Quote End ---  

I didn't look it up to verify this, but the issue with "the same SLD Node instance" sounds like something that I know was fixed in version 8.0.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Keep us updated on your adventures.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, Jakob. I have been able to build the system like that. The system includes 2 SOPC classes, and each class has 2 instances. It seems that debug issues have been resolved, as I did not see any errors when compiling the system (I am using Quartus 8.0SP1). But I found the document really useful while I built the system. Thanks again.

0 Kudos