Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

linux slow dow / where would i look to find the issue

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

compiling the same code  

DE0-Nano-SOC-GHRD 

under Windows 7 - compiling across the network 7min :27sec 

under CentOs 6.5 - compiling to a SSD 2hours 8 min  

hangs in the fitter 98% of the time ... ... 

code is vanilla - straight of the CD from Terasic 

same timing issues for 14 ,14.1, 15 under CentOs (i7 3.6Ghz with 32G of ram- brand new built it last week just for this purpose ) 

only have 14.0 installed under Windows 7 (i5 3.6GHz 16G of ram) (4 yrs old)  

?? both are stock installs - (don't know enough to be messing around with the environment too much.)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Maybe not related, but might be worth mentioning... 

We have a CentOS 7 machine which does perform very badly compared to a much slower machine running CentOS 5.4. Quartus 10.0sp1 performs as expected, but Quartus 15.0 update 2 is really slow. For example when looking in the synthesis and fitter reports at the number for Elapsed time and Total CPU time, it can be seen the Total CPU time is lower than Elapsed time. Which tells that the cores are doing a lot of waiting and can't work in parallel. (On the slower machine which runs the synthesis faster the, Total CPU time is higher than Elapsed time).  

Have anyone else seen this behavior?  

Anyways it seem that is best to install Centos 6.5 instead of 7....  

/BR Johan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have also seen this. 

I am watching it run with the system monitor. When Quartus starts for a brief time it uses all available cpu cores at 100%. Then I see a small amount of network activity, and zero (0) cpu usage for 200 some odd seconds, a short burst of cpu activity, a blip on the network port, then several hundred more seconds of what looks like it just sitting and waiting. 

There are times when it does not do this, and the build happens very rapidly. 

It's possible that it's doing a web-access, waiting for a timeout, then continuing. I have the talk-back feature turned off - my guess would be that turning it off only disables the send, and not the wait for reply. 

Another possibility is that it (Quartus) is un-happy about the Java version installed. I often see random Java errors when running the tools. 

When my schedule is a little less hectic I will investigate more.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I had a similar issue on Fedora. In my case it was resolved by turning off the internet connection (i.e. Wifi) while Quartus is compiling. See here: http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49543 (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49543). 

I assume this only works for the Web Edition, as Quartus doesn't need to check any licenses then. 

Best regards, 

GooGooCluster
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If your NSCD service is off, try turning it on to see if it resolves the problem. An issue was detected by Altera where some designs on Linux were negatively impacted when the NSCD service is off. 

Quartus II 15.1 will resolve this particular problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

wow !  

switch to 15.1  

from a 2 hour compile to 10m 22s compile  

thank you for the update !!!
0 Kudos